Basic Cooking Skills

I use water in lieu of beer for pancake batter (UK style) because beer imparts on them a strange colour. I may also add an egg for pancakes.

pancakes 2017 s.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use any form of curry paste though. I just make the curry.

This is from your Bradfud Bangla Curry recipe. And this is a curry paste that you have made!

Heat the oil/ghee in a wok or heavy frying pan and fry the chopped onion on a medium heat until golden brown (about 5 minutes).

Add the ginger, garlic and fresh chilies and fry for 30 seconds. Turn the heat down to very low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the ingredients burning. Add the turmeric, ground cumin and ground coriander and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes stirring continuously. Add a little warm water if the spices start to burn. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

So this would be considered "paste" then?

currysauce-1.png

I shall therefore retract my statement that "I don't use any form of curry paste though. I just make the curry.".

Apparently I've been using it for years!

That's right. @Elawin makes her own curd cheese (or Paneer) . I do too, sometimes. It has to be one of the easiest things to do! You just squirt lemon juice or vinegar into milk and heat it gently. In minutes the curds separate from the whey. All you then do is drain off the whey (I use muslin). Hey presto: home made cheese.
I make ricotta too - it's made in a similar way but a lot lighter :)

I and every one of my 4 adult children know how to cook from scratch. And they are all very creative, and love trying new things, especially from places in the world where they've never been. But that's because they grew up in my home, where they were eating escargot, and squid, and all cuts of beef, pork, and many kinds of poultry and fish. Plus, I taught them the science behind most baked goods, how the ingredients interact with each other, the difference between the Mailard reaction and Caramelization, the nutritional value of differing foods, etc. I also taught them knife skills from a young age, and what different pots and pans were best suited for.

It is my opinion that most who don't understand how to cook well were never taught the satisfaction that come from preparing a good meal, giving your best effort to you family. They are probably folling in their parent's footsteps, or creating their own paths because no one gave them the skills to create really great and satisfying foods. Iand my children may be a little different though. We love to learn and experience every new bit of knowledge we can coax from this world, and are do-it-your-selfers in everything from cooking, to car repair, to fixing a gas furnace, or stove. We love to do it ourselves. And it's allowed us to survive well on a less than stellar budget. We aren't poor, and have good jobs, but are definetley working class people. Yes, I have an 4 year electrical engineering degree, but have chosen to llive in a small town where there are no jobs in my field. My children either have one child who is an executive chef, one who is about to become a full-fledged doctor of dentistry, one who works as an IT tech for a very large travel agency, and finally the youngest was accepted into a medical program.

Are we any smarter than anyone else? No. But I believe that putting every bit of effort I had into my children, both knowledge wise, work ethic, and playtime gave me kids who make me proud every day. And I still love it when one of them calls and says, "Dad, how do I make this?", or, "Dad, I just tried this and it's amazing. Gotta share it with you."

If you truly want to be loved by your children, you have to put them, and your spouse before your own interests. Yeh, I digressed a little. But we do need to recognize that great families, with great skills don't just happen. They are created by parents who put thmselves completely into their family's well being.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure within the home"

Is that a curry paste?

Well, blow me down!

I call it a curry sauce - viz: http://www.food.com/recipe/yorkys-hot-chicken-curry-sauce-522215

I don't make it and bottle it though.
I would call your recipe a curry sauce since it has a lot of tomatoes (e.g. liquid) which is simmered to reduce down.

My understanding of a curry paste is that it is a PASTE comprising of lots of spices fried off. However, before adding the tomatoes it IS a curry paste!

I would call your recipe a curry sauce since it has a lot of tomatoes (e.g. liquid) which is simmered to reduce down. My understanding of a curry paste is that it is a PASTE comprising of lots of spices fried off.

To me it's just part of the curry cooking process. I've never considered it a separate entity.

Curry paste and curry powder to me are ingredients that you buy in jars/packets and as such have no control over. I didn't believe that I had ever used either.

If you truly want to be loved by your children, you have to put them, and your spouse before your own interests. Yeh, I digressed a little. But we do need to recognize that great families, with great skills don't just happen. They are created by parents who put thmselves completely into their family's well being.

I think I failed miserably in that case! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom