Basic Cooking Skills

OK - that is the cheese I always make! What I should have asked is what is the difference in method between that and the other one you make (paneer).
Paneer is left in the saucepan over a medium to low heat and stirred until the curds separate. They are then removed from the whey and placed under a plate or board which is weighted and left for about 45 minutes, by which time any liquid residue has been removed. It looks a bit like halloumi, but is not salted.

I and every one of my 4 adult children know how to cook from scratch. And they are all very creative, and love trying new things, especially from places in the world where they've never been. But that's because they grew up in my home, where they were eating escargot, and squid, and all cuts of beef, pork, and many kinds of poultry and fish. Plus, I taught them the science behind most baked goods, how the ingredients interact with each other, the difference between the Mailard reaction and Caramelization, the nutritional value of differing foods, etc. I also taught them knife skills from a young age, and what different pots and pans were best suited for.

It is my opinion that most who don't understand how to cook well were never taught the satisfaction that come from preparing a good meal, giving your best effort to you family. They are probably folling in their parent's footsteps, or creating their own paths because no one gave them the skills to create really great and satisfying foods. Iand my children may be a little different though. We love to learn and experience every new bit of knowledge we can coax from this world, and are do-it-your-selfers in everything from cooking, to car repair, to fixing a gas furnace, or stove. We love to do it ourselves. And it's allowed us to survive well on a less than stellar budget. We aren't poor, and have good jobs, but are definetley working class people. Yes, I have an 4 year electrical engineering degree, but have chosen to llive in a small town where there are no jobs in my field. My children either have one child who is an executive chef, one who is about to become a full-fledged doctor of dentistry, one who works as an IT tech for a very large travel agency, and finally the youngest was accepted into a medical program.

Are we any smarter than anyone else? No. But I believe that putting every bit of effort I had into my children, both knowledge wise, work ethic, and playtime gave me kids who make me proud every day. And I still love it when one of them calls and says, "Dad, how do I make this?", or, "Dad, I just tried this and it's amazing. Gotta share it with you."

If you truly want to be loved by your children, you have to put them, and your spouse before your own interests. Yeh, I digressed a little. But we do need to recognize that great families, with great skills don't just happen. They are created by parents who put thmselves completely into their family's well being.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure within the home"
Agreeing with most of what you said. Now my son is a cook at the moment, my adopted daughter is wonderful in the kitchen, but the youngest (who's dad was a cook), can make stuff from a box.
But, the youngest is totally spoiled by her father. He even buys her the pre-measured butter.
Maybe why at over 25, she still lives with him and doesn't work.

My late sister's kids had to find out how to cook the hard way. Half way through doing a Sunday roast, my sister had a slight accident involving a sharp knife and my brother-in-law had to take her to hospital. The kids were told to finish cooking the meal. They did OK too, and all from watching my sister cook.

When my daughter was very young, I bought her some children's cookery books. Otherwise she learnt from the Girl Guides, and from watching/helping me. When my granddaughters were young, I had a phone call one day "Mum, have you still got those cookery books?".....

The best thing that ever happened to me (besides my wife and son, of course) was that my parents moved out from underneath me when my dad retired. Lol.

Actually, that's not true. I hadn't finished college when I got my first real (career) job at the ripe old age of 20, and though I was chomping at the bit to move out of my parents house, they made me stay at home and save money.

Shortly thereafter, though, my dad retired and sold the house very quickly.
So at 23 years old, I got my first apartment and had to learn how to live like a human, not a caveman with a servant (my mom).

Having been brought up in an immaculate house with great food on the table all the time, I had a choice to make. Either learn to cook, clean, do laundry, and so on, or never live up to the standards with which I was accustomed, or more importantly, never get a date.

So I started cooking, which leads to cleaning (the dishes... man, do dishes in a sink smell after a day or two).

So my best advice is to teach your kids to cook and clean, then kick their asses out the door asap.

@buckytom.

I agree totally with you, that teaching your kids how to cook, clean, and make their beds are like teaching them to say Please and Thank You. It is an absolutely quintessential set of skills to have. Lovely background .. Thanks for posting ..

Ha Ha ..

Growing up on the northeast coast of the Mediterrean Sea, close to France ( Cadaques, Costa Brava), amongst all the sun drenched flavors, the best of the Mediterranean Iberian, is always celebrated and intricately filled with a profound epicurean culture with over a million bars dating back to históric times, it is hard not to have an interest in gastronomy or wines.

My sons ( un-identical twins of 27 and married with 1 child each, 2 boys) had taken a keen interest in the culinary arts at a very Young age as I did. My husband is from Le Salon de Provençe, 35 - 40 minutes north of Marseille Port of Call (Vieux Port = The Old Port ) and so this has also had a strong influence on our sons.

My dad is from Cadaques as well however, went to study in Barcelona and then France, the Hospitality Industry and business. Mom, was born in Gibraltar and had moved as a child to Barcelona to attend the same institute as her husband.

Mom had never opened a can or frozen packet of anything. This just was not done in my childhood or teenager years, regardless of the fact that my parents had begun a Company of their own .. If she cooked all was from scratch .. Otherwise we ate out and not fast food ..

Tapas could be considered fast food however, all is natural and hand made too !

Tapas came very fast in my days in Spain. And they were generally wonderful.

Tapas came very fast in my days in Spain. And they were generally wonderful.

@morning glory

Tapas: Spain takes pride in its tapas, and in the tapas bars that serve them whether historic bars or modern trendy. Uncountable tiny venues on tucked away cobblestoned narrow streets, crowds spill out at the front doors .. Tapas are a prelude for dinner, an 12pm hold me over to lunch ( 14.00 - 14.30 is normal lunch hour in Spain ) and / or a meal in themselves at any hour and the diversity is incredible ..

I am sure that you have very fond memories of Tapas Crawling ..

Have a lovely evening ..

@morning glory

Tapas: Spain takes pride in its tapas, and in the tapas bars that serve them whether historic bars or modern trendy. Uncountable tiny venues on tucked away cobblestoned narrow streets, crowds spill out at the front doors .. Tapas are a prelude for dinner, an 12pm hold me over to lunch ( 14.00 - 14.30 is normal lunch hour in Spain ) and / or a meal in themselves at any hour and the diversity is incredible ..

I am sure that you have very fond memories of Tapas Crawling ..

Have a lovely evening ..

i think you meant to mention @Yorky not me. I haven't ever tapas crawled!

I believe that everyone should be able to prepare a home cooked simple but healthy meal for themselves & their families if necessary.

I also am a believer, that all people should have a general knowledge of healthy natural food and food combining & how to purchase and what to look for ..

In my generation, I had learnt to cook from my Grandmothers and my Mother .. And 2 sons from their grandmothers and I. Afterall, everyone male or female should be able to handle the basics of the kitchen ..

Good Post. Thank you and have a wonderful weekend.
Agree with you 100%. I started cooking some 40 years ago. I had off bank holidays while my wife worked in a dental office. Newly weds with a lot of easy cookbooks as wedding gifts. Had a simple (but nice) dinner waiting for her ...over the years have advanced to "Very good amateur". My daughter loves to cook and two sons are showing the desire.

Professional people without young children at home, normally, find it cost effective to to grab a bite out verses having a bite at home.
If you have to go purchase all the ingredients, fish or meat, the herbs, spices, vegetables and salad fixings, this is more expensive that a special menú offered at a restaurant ..
People with children particulary in the Mediterranean countries, Spain, Italy, Southern France, Portugal and Greece, prepare dinner at home on work days however, simple and quick .. However, Sundays are still dedicated to family traditions and most people with children do prepare fairly elaborate large lunches .. Dinners are extremely light ..

Grand parents prepare the Sunday meals for the whole family and this is still commonplace.

A lunch carte can vary from 10 Euros to 25 Euros for a business executive lunch ( starter (choice of 5 ítems) and a main course, plus wine or a beverage and café or a dessert ) throughout Spain. The restaurants are packed .. Many corporations in Spain provide a perk or benefit, called Lunch Tickets and in other words, they pay 7 Euros a day, Monday through Friday and all you do is add the 3 Euros. The restaurants here all accept the lunch ticket programme.

So one here is spending 15 Euros a week on lunch .. A phenomenal deal ..

I believe that one should have the basic skills .. How to prepare an omelette, a piece of fish, a roast chicken, pasta .. etcetra. All your basics. And the Mother Sauces, for example: Tomato sauce .. You do not have to be a Michelin Chef to cook a well presented dish that is delicious and healthy. There are so many books and of course, the internet and Dvds etcetra .. An Adult Education Course, could be a truly wonderful way to learn the basics too and to meet people who are there for the same reason you are ..

Have a lovely evening.
12am ..

Professional people without young children at home, normally, find it cost effective to to grab a bite out verses having a bite at home.
If you have to go purchase all the ingredients, fish or meat, the herbs, spices, vegetables and salad fixings, this is more expensive that a special menú offered at a restaurant ...

When I lived in Germany, it was certainly cheaper to eat in a pub than to buy all the ingredients yourself. It was quite a long time ago now, and, although you could buy frozen as well as fresh food, there didn't seem to be any ready-meals or junk food in the shops.

Back
Top Bottom