Recipe Basic Same-Day Pizza Dough

Only because I haven't been feeling too well lately. I get the blahs (PTSD related) this time of year and I had to put off my appointment for pain management when I tested positive for COVID. Now, I have to wait until mid-January.

This pizza dough recipe looks easy. I might venture down that road sometime in the next week or two. ;-)
I'm going to sub out beer for the water. Just Budweiser, nothing too life altering.

Reactions: mjd
I can make cakes and pies but I've never tried bread until TastyReuben posted an easy-peasy one for hamburger buns. I've just been terrified of yeast for about 20 years (when I made some homemade root beer that exploded overnight). I'm getting back on the horse since joining this site. You all are so wonderful to share your advice and tips. I'm learning all the time!
I can and always knew how to make pies (crust from scratch) and cake from a box, never from scratch. Probably 40 years ago I made cookie dough from scratch, but once they came out with the refrigerated dough I didn't bother anymore. Plus, years ago I didn't have as much time on my hands as I do now.

It was me that asked for a quick and easy bun recipe, remember? I loved TR's 40-minute buns. I am so sorry you had a nightmare with yeast. When I was in college and made beer I had an incident after bottling one time that was very unfortunate. Lots of broken glass. I've learned lots of great stuff from this website, lovely to have like-minded people with a love of food and preparing it.

And thank you TastyReuben for this recipe! I'll let you know how the beer substitution works out.

Reactions: mjd
Do you mean for the yeast in jars and/or the packets? I have some of the three small ones that come connected and have only used one thus far.
I am pretty sure any yeast. I guess chances are if you have packets you will use them all pretty quickly. I buy it in the jar these days.

Dried instant yeast doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. Its dried! Fresh yeast will certainly last longer in the fridge.

Dried instant yeast doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. Its dried! Fresh yeast will certainly last longer in the fridge.
It's just been a thing with people in my family and other people I know for a long time. Like I said, I am no baker. I just assumed it was true. I attributed it to yeast being kept in temperatures that weren't constant, as perhaps warm temperatures might affect it. Thanks for that clarification!

It's just been a thing with people in my family and other people I know for a long time. Like I said, I am no baker. I just assumed it was true. I attributed it to yeast being kept in temperatures that weren't constant, as perhaps warm temperatures might affect it. Thanks for that clarification!

I am going by the fact that dried produce in general doesn't need to be in the fridge and that instant packet yeast is sold on open shelves in the supermarket.

I am going by the fact that dried produce in general doesn't need to be in the fridge and that instant packet yeast is sold on open shelves in the supermarket.
Yes, that's true, but temperatures can vary in different climates. So maybe pre-air conditioning it was more common, and that became a habit amongst the people I know who bake? :)

I don't know about "need to," specifically, but Fleishmann's definitely say to refrigerate their jars of dried yeast after opening. It's in big red letters on their lids. :)

TastyReuben Tasters mate have you ever tried making a sourdough "mother" ? Mrs B was far more dedicated in keeping the last one alive in the UK. She started it one year before we left, she gave it to a friend from Waitrose when we left. Blobby is still going strong in the UK.

TastyReuben Tasters mate have you ever tried making a sourdough "mother" ? Mrs B was far more dedicated in keeping the last one alive in the UK. She started it one year before we left, she gave it to a friend from Waitrose when we left. Blobby is still going strong in the UK.
Never tried. MrsT doesn't like sourdough bread, so I've never had a reason to make it.

I don't know about "need to," specifically, but Fleishmann's definitely say to refrigerate their jars of dried yeast after opening. It's in big red letters on their lids. :)
:ohmy: The dried yeast sold here doesn't say that. I suppose that it might keep better if the tin is open. The type I use is in sealed sachets so I don't think there is any need to refrigerate those.

I keep my dried yeast in the fridge once its opened - I've found it lasts far longer than keeping it in the cupboard. But I buy the 125g packs of Dove's Farm yeast rather than individual sachets. The open pack of yeast is decanted into a small lock&lock box which I keep in the fridge door.

Ocado have started selling fresh yeast so I've been using that recently and I store that in the freezer - I cut it into approx 12g pieces, wrap individually in clingfilm and then store in a lock&lock box in the freezer. When I want to use it I measure out the water for my bread recipe first then pop the (unwrapped) frozen yeast block into it and just let it defrost and dissolve into the water.

Ocado have started selling fresh yeast so I've been using that recently and I store that in the freezer - I cut it into approx 12g pieces, wrap individually in clingfilm and then store in a lock&lock box in the freezer.

Do you find it makes a big difference compared to dried yeast?

Do you find it makes a big difference compared to dried yeast?
Not really :) I only started getting the fresh yeast because I was almost out of dried and Ocado didn't have any dried in stock.
I made a loaf and some pizza dough at the weekend and used fresh for one and dried for the other. You use double the weight of fresh than you would dried but I can't actually remember which yeast I used for which dough :laugh: They both rose beautifully, though I do find this time of year I need to leave things to rise a bit longer than normal.

Back
Top Bottom