Recipe Basic Same-Day Pizza Dough

:ohmy: The dried yeast sold here doesn't say that. I suppose that it might keep better if the tin is open. The type I use is in sealed sachets so I don't think there is any need to refrigerate those.
Right, the little packets don't say that - they're expecting those to be like single-serve packets of ketchup or whatever.

I do, however, use amounts as small as 1/4-tsp, and if I happen to be out of the jars and just have the packets (which contain 2-1/4 tsp), I'll fold the top over tightly and toss it in the fridge.

My MIL didn't have air conditioning in her house until about 15 years ago. That's probably why she always kept it refrigerated. My mom always did, too. My yeast stays in the refrigerator, even when unopened. So far so good, never had any bad yeast.

TastyReuben, I have a question that will probably sound stupid to those of you with more experience. Why is this recipe called "same day pizza dough"? Are there other types of pizza dough that takes more than a day? Sorry for such a silly question.

Last edited:
some folk put the dough in the fridge over night - this develops 'the flavor' - it's a well known technique.

I have a glass jar which originally held yeast - which I refill from a 1 lb bag of yeast kept in the freezer, which expired two years ago - and still does it's job, every time....

yeast from the pyramid tombs has been successful 'regenerated' and used to make "original Egyptian beer" - which I understand doesn't taste all that good....
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/aug...st-resurrected-to-brew-ancient-beer-1.5155502

yeast spores are pretty sturdy stuff:
Israeli researchers brew 'ancient beer' with antique yeast

Last edited:
TastyReuben, I have a question that will probably sound stupid to those of you with more experience. Why is this recipe called "same day pizza dough"? Are there other types of pizza dough that takes more than a day? Sorry for such a silly question.

Not a silly question. I can say I've never made pizza dough that took more than a day (or indeed a few hours).

Not a silly question at all.

Like CookieMonster said, it'll develop more flavor overnight (or up to three days), going through a slower fermentation process. It'll also improve the the texture/chew of the crust. You know that "baker's window" everyone wants in the pizza dough, where you can stretch the dough so thin without tearing that you can see through it? That's hard to get with a short rise, but easy with an overnight rise.

Most decent pizza places overnight their dough, though they also have a backup same-day recipe (usually referred to as "emergency dough") in case something catastrophic happens with the overnight dough.

Same-day and overnight doughs vary a bit in their prep, mainly in the amount of yeast. You'll use a lot more for a same-day dough. Overnight dough...I use a scant 1/4 tsp of yeast. You don't need as much, because it has all night to get its work done.

If you make the same-day dough, and then compare it to an overnight dough, I'd wager you'll pick up on the differences pretty quickly. The same-day dough has a tighter crumb, less flavor, less pull/chew. The overnight dough will be more pillowy, more airy, and have a really nice toughness to it. Tough, but in a good way. And the flavor is much better. I rarely make a same-day dough and remark on the taste of the crust. It's there to hold up the toppings and to otherwise stay out of the way. The overnight dough? I'll have a tough time deciding which end to start first, because the crust with nothing on it tastes so good.

I'll dig around and see if I can find some pics of overnight dough that I've done. They don't even look the same.

Ok, the pics at the beginning of this topic show pizzas made with dough that had risen the minimum time, same day, maybe 45 minutes-1 hour.

Compare those to these:

Pretty much the same recipe, just that the latter ones hung out in the fridge for one or two days before sitting out on the counter and coming up to room temperature. I think the differences, just in the pics, is pretty obvious.

All this pizza talk, I need to make some pizza!

Wow, that was great information, thanks! You know your pizza. Did you work in a pizza shop as a teenager or something?

Reactions: mjd
And that explains why Papa John's is no bueno.

Reactions: mjd
...and now I'm making pizza dough.

I just made dough for two 12"-14" pies; one for tomorrow and one in the freezer.

This one is half white bread flour and half white whole wheat flour. We'll see how that works out.

...and now I'm making pizza dough.

I just made dough for two 12"-14" pies; one for tomorrow and one in the freezer.

This one is half white bread flour and half white whole wheat flour. We'll see how that works out.

Ok, I need to make TastyReuben pizza dough now. I'll plan a day next week. That looks soooo goooood tasty.

Russ

Not a silly question. I can say I've never made pizza dough that took more than a day (or indeed a few hours).

I dated a guy that owned a Domino's Pizza. He would get dough balls in the various sizes from the commissary the night before. I just assume
Not a silly question at all.

Like CookieMonster said, it'll develop more flavor overnight (or up to three days), going through a slower fermentation process. It'll also improve the the texture/chew of the crust. You know that "baker's window" everyone wants in the pizza dough, where you can stretch the dough so thin without tearing that you can see through it? That's hard to get with a short rise, but easy with an overnight rise.

Most decent pizza places overnight their dough, though they also have a backup same-day recipe (usually referred to as "emergency dough") in case something catastrophic happens with the overnight dough.

Same-day and overnight doughs vary a bit in their prep, mainly in the amount of yeast. You'll use a lot more for a same-day dough. Overnight dough...I use a scant 1/4 tsp of yeast. You don't need as much, because it has all night to get its work done.

If you make the same-day dough, and then compare it to an overnight dough, I'd wager you'll pick up on the differences pretty quickly. The same-day dough has a tighter crumb, less flavor, less pull/chew. The overnight dough will be more pillowy, more airy, and have a really nice toughness to it. Tough, but in a good way. And the flavor is much better. I rarely make a same-day dough and remark on the taste of the crust. It's there to hold up the toppings and to otherwise stay out of the way. The overnight dough? I'll have a tough time deciding which end to start first, because the crust with nothing on it tastes so good.

I'll dig around and see if I can find some pics of overnight dough that I've done. They don't even look the same.

Thank you and CookieMonster. I definitely see the difference in the dough height between the two. I think I mentioned it when we were talking about dough in previous conversations but I learned how to make a no yeast pizza crust because of my fear of yeast. Now that you've helped me over that I want to try making a pizza dough with it. I might need your help if I get stuck somewhere. ;-0

I dated a guy that owned a Domino's Pizza. He would get dough balls in the various sizes from the commissary the night before. I just assume

Thank you and CookieMonster. I definitely see the difference in the dough height between the two. I think I mentioned it when we were talking about dough in previous conversations but I learned how to make a no yeast pizza crust because of my fear of yeast. Now that you've helped me over that I want to try making a pizza dough with it. I might need your help if I get stuck somewhere. ;-0
Glad to help. I'd suggest starting with the one that's posted at the beginning of this topic, it's really easy, and it's a wet enough dough that it's simple to shape - you don't stretch it so much as you just sort of...push it into shape.

Glad to help. I'd suggest starting with the one that's posted at the beginning of this topic, it's really easy, and it's a wet enough dough that it's simple to shape - you don't stretch it so much as you just sort of...push it into shape.

My ex moved us to NC which has the worst pizza on the planet (or in the US anyway. LOL). I tried to bribe my favorite pizza place to FedEx their food to me but they wouldn't do it so I taught myself how to make Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Even learned how to do the pizza toss move to stretch the dough to size.

Back
Top Bottom