Recipe Beefburgers

I'll make some more and see if I can get a decent photo. My phone doesn't have a flash so any photos are a bit hit and miss. As I explained the burger without onion was for my dog and, although I put extra carrot in it, I used up the rest of the egg so the mix was pretty sloppy even after leaving it in the fridge. It cooked OK but was more like a mini beef omelette! It would probably have been fine if the proportions were better but, like you, I love onions and, as far as I am concerned, a burger without onions is a no-no :happy:
Re photos. I'm using a good digital camera not a phone camera. But the one thing I can advise is not to use a flash. Natural daylight always works best. If necessary take the dish outside! Flash has a tendency to make food look plastic and artificial.

c

I'm sorry I read it incorrectly. You know as much as I have seen that you should not give dogs onions, I quietly want to add some to their rice on the few occasions that I cook for them. I am actually cooking for them right now and was thinking onion is so missing from this pot. I said earlier today I am a photo addict but there is this lady called @morning glory that has completely taken over the photo shop and I love it.
Its a while since anyone called me a lady! :laugh:

Top photo was taken before they were put in the fridge to firm up. The second photo was taken as served with slice of cheese in homemade bread. There was no shrinkage!
Burgers with carrots.jpg
Burgers with carrots2.jpg

Top photo was taken before they were put in the fridge to firm up. The second photo was taken as served with slice of cheese in homemade bread. There was no shrinkage!
View attachment 2572 View attachment 2574
I'm impressed by lack of shrinkage! Is it the use of carrots do you think? I find it can depend on the type of mince (ground) beef used. In the UK we have various 'grades' and types of ground beef depending on fat content and breed of beef - well, that is how they are labelled in the supermarket. Do you know what type you used @Elawin?

I'm impressed by lack of shrinkage! Is it the use of carrots do you think? I find it can depend on the type of mince (ground) beef used. In the UK we have various 'grades' and types of ground beef depending on fat content and breed of beef - well, that is how they are labelled in the supermarket. Do you know what type you used @Elawin?

I expect it is the use of carrots - the ones I used were fresh organic ones and they were really juicy. The mince I used was Sainsburys Beef Mince 5% fat - very moist and looked good. It's the first time I've used Sainsburys mince - much nicer than from our local Tesco :D

At the same time, I made another burger with no onion but double carrot and much nearer the proper proportions as per recipe. It was nice and firm and cooked really well. The taste was a bit bland for me, but there again I love onions.

I expect it is the use of carrots - the ones I used were fresh organic ones and they were really juicy. The mince I used was Sainsburys Beef Mince 5% fat - very moist and looked good. It's the first time I've used Sainsburys mince - much nicer than from our local Tesco :D
5% fat should mean it shrinks less, I think. I don't normally shop at Sainsburys, although I have one in walking distance! I'll try the recipe out soon. One thing I have used in home-made burgers is 'liquid smoke'. If you haven't come across this then I'm not surprised. I'm not sure how I came across it it! Its amazing stuff and a few drops added to your burger mix will send it into BBQ heaven. Its probably full of nasty carcinogens but I reckon so is barbecued food anyway! I buy this on line and there are other 'makes'. A bottle lasts me ages as you only use a drop or two.

It looks like this:

Photo on 15-04-2016 at 23.26.jpg

I like the way the ingredients state 0% of everything!

Photo on 15-04-2016 at 23.37.jpg

Last edited:
5% fat should mean it shrinks less, I think. I don't normally shop at Sainsburys, although I have one in walking distance! I'll try the recipe out soon. One thing I have used in home-made burgers is 'liquid smoke'. If you haven't come across this then I'm not surprised. I'm not sure how I came across it it! Its amazing stuff and a few drops added to your burger mix will send it into BBQ heaven. Its probably full of nasty carcinogens but I reckon so is barbecued food anyway! I buy this on line and there are other 'makes'. A bottle lasts me ages as you only use a drop or two.

It looks like this:

View attachment 2576

I like the way the ingredients state 0% of everything!

View attachment 2577
0% of everything except salt - that 10 mg. Tesco do it :eek:

I thought I'd come back and take another look at this winning recipe. I think I've made burgers maybe one or twice in my lifetime and that must have been more than a decade ago.

On Tesco's site, the information page
OK. I looked at that. Yes, the ingredients on Tesco's site say 10% sodium. I'm not sure where I bought mine but it clearly states on the label 'no sodium'. If you scroll up you can see that on the picture of the bottle. :scratchhead:

OK. I looked at that. Yes, the ingredients on Tesco's site say 10% sodium. I'm not sure where I bought mine but it clearly states on the label 'no sodium'. If you scroll up you can see that on the picture of the bottle. :scratchhead:
I did notice that after I posted my reply. Perhaps you should nip into Tesco's and have a look :wink:

I did notice that after I posted my reply. Perhaps you should nip into Tesco's and have a look :wink:
I think mine is a different version. The bottles are different and mine doesn't say 'hickory smoke'. Anyway... TBH if you do use it, you use so little that I don't think the salt content would really be an issue. I don't use it often.

Back
Top Bottom