Recipe Beetroot Pasta with Spinach & Ricotta

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:18 PM
This is an easy dish to make if you have ready-cooked beetroot. You can use the cooked beetroot sold in the supermarket (not pickled). The magical transformation of plain pasta to a dramatic pinky red is great fun. You can use any shape of pasta you like. I used giant Paccheri Rigati because it happened to be what I had to hand.

Ingredients (serves 2)
150g - 200g pasta
60g finely chopped cooked spinach*
100g ricotta cheese
Nutmeg
75g cooked red beetroot
3 baby tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
Parmesan to serve (optional)**
*cooked weight
**if serving to vegetarians omit the Parmesan or use a vegetarian substitute.

Method
  1. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until ‘al dente’.
  2. Whilst the pasta is cooking, mix together the spinach & ricotta.
  3. Add a good grating of nutmeg and salt to taste. Set aside.
  4. Chop the beetroot into chunks and halve the tomatoes. Place in a blender with the olive oil, chilli and a little water.
  5. Blend to a smooth paste and add salt to taste.
  6. Drain the pasta and return it to the pan. Add the sauce, turning it carefully to ensure all the pasta is coated.
  7. Leave to stand for a few minutes and then add the ricotta spinach mixture (in small clumps), turning gently.
  8. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan, if desired.

As someone who has said many times how much you are not a fan, has this challenge change your opinion, at least a little bit? It should, seeing how fun this dish seems to have been for you.

Yes it has changed my mind somewhat - certainly the use of the beetroot colour is great fun. There is one dish of I made which did make a difference - I haven't yet posted up the recipe.... oh and another, which was a curry....

Back
Top Bottom