Recipe Black Bean Quinoa Sliders

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:28 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

When I decided to make this, I was concerned about the integrity of the patty: black bean burgers are often soft. Here’s what I did to mitigate that:
  • Finely chop the wet components. Any vegetable you add for flavor or coloring will add moisture. The moisture is released during cooking. Big pieces of pepper create big holes; smaller pieces are less disruptive.
  • Mash the mixture. The binders here are egg, breadcrumbs, and beans. While the first 2 are easy to combine, the beans need to be mashed to release their stickiness. While whole beans look pretty, they don’t help hold the patty together. I usually see recipes indicating either hand mixing or use of a fork. I used a potato masher to fully combine the mixture.
  • Refrigerate before forming. This allowed all the components to settle and fully combine. When I took them out to form them, the integrity was so good that I could have grilled them (I will certainly give this a try sometime soon).
  • Coat with flour. This only makes sense for pan frying, which I did here. I decided to grind dry quinoa and use it as a flour to crisp up the surface when I cooked them.
Here, I present a bahn mi burger (kimchi, spicy mayo, and cilantro) and a southwest burger (guacamole and pickled jalapeños with salsa). These are rather thick to be sliders - 3 ounces - but I wanted to each to be substantial. A 2 ounce patty is probably ideal for a slider. At 3 ounces, each is like a mini meal.

Ingredients

15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup cooked quinoa, cooled to room temperature
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon cumin, pan roasted and ground
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 egg
1 garlic clove
salt to taste
1/4 cup dry quinoa
1 tablespoon of oil
Slider buns (the recipe makes six 3-ounce patties or nine 2-ounce patties)

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients except for dry quinoa and oil in a bowl. Mash thoroughly with a potato masher.

2. Remove mixture from bowl. Smash any big chunks. Combine by hand to ensure even distribution, then return to bowl. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to form the patties.

3. Add dry quinoa to a spice grinder. Grind until reduced to a powder. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding any bits that don’t pass through.

4. Using a ring mold, form the patties. This recipe makes six 3-ounce patties or nine 2-ounce patties. Dust the exterior in quinoa flour, shaking off excess. NOTE: The mixture refrigerate and stores well, so you can make one at a time if you choose.

5. Add enough oil to immerse the patty at least halfway: the flour won’t render if there is not enough oil in the pan. Cook patties on medium heat, flipping when browned. Continue cooking to your liking.

6. Remove patties from pan and place on paper towel to blot any residual oil. Add to slider buns with toppings you would use for a hamburger, or serve as-is with spicy mayo.

Last edited:
Looking good. How is the texture? Are they soft when you bite into them. That has always been my issue with bean burgers.

I think the crispy surface helps. I would compare them to a crabcake in terms of consistency. There’s no way to get a real meat consistency with a plant, as far as I know.

I think the crispy surface helps. I would compare them to a crabcake in terms of consistency. There’s no way to get a real meat consistency with a plant, as far as I know.

Yeah - But there is one plant - and I haven't ever typed up that recipe! Its jackfruit. As I remember, the result of this bean and jackfruit burger was the texture of a meat burger. I fear I lost the notes I made for the recipe. Maybe I should have a go at making a quinoa and jackfruit burger.

Here is the photo I took at the time:

Yeah - But there is one plant - and I haven't ever typed up that recipe! Its jackfruit. As I remember, the result of this bean and jackfruit burger was the texture of a meat burger. I fear I lost the notes I made for the recipe. Maybe I should have a go at making a quinoa and jackfruit burger.

Here is the photo I took at the time:

View attachment 62189

I am a big fan of jackfruit. I’ve had jackfruit burgers that could have fooled me into thinking they were meat. I’ve also had jackfruit “pulled pork” that was seasoned like the real thing, and even had the right texture.

I can't believe those are vegan, wow! The end result looks like meat patties. The quinoa flour is brilliant.

I don't think I have ever had jackfruit. Is it sweet naturally but changes flavor with seasoning?

Wow! I'm not a quinoa fan but you make it look appetizing! I really like how you explain your thought process for each step. It helps me understand the "mechanics" behind it which is often easier to remember than just following the steps.

Good job! I'm hungry now. ;-)

I can't believe those are vegan, wow! The end result looks like meat patties. The quinoa flour is brilliant.

I don't think I have ever had jackfruit. Is it sweet naturally but changes flavor with seasoning?

Thanks!

The best description I heard of the flavor is that it tastes like Juicy Fruit gum.

Dude! You can't end that comment there! What in the world? Expound man! ;-)

It’s mildly sweet, mild enough to accept just about any flavor. I honestly have never had a sweet preparation. The texture seems similar to a not-very-ripe mango (fibrous, not soft like an overly ripe mango).

Reactions: mjd
Back
Top Bottom