Recipe Bloody Mary 'amuse bouche'

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:44 PM
I don't think anyone is going to make a lot of these unless they have a large and empty fridge. But, its a bit of fun and would be great on a plate of mixed hors d'oevres or as an 'amuse bouche'. You can make them any size you like, but I think smaller is better (like a baby tomato) so they can be popped into the mouth whole. Gelatine could be substituted for the agar agar.

Ingredients
Tomato juice (3 parts)
Vodka (1 part)
Agar agar flakes (use enough for a firm set based on packet instructions per volume of tomato juice plus vodka)
Tabasco, to taste
Worcestershire Sauce, to taste

Method
  1. Put the tomato juice in a saucepan and sprinkle the agar agar over the surface. Heat gently until the agar agar dissolves (do not stir).
  2. Simmer for ten minutes stirring occasionally. Allow to cool and stir in vodka, plus a dash of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce.
  3. Line a small teacup or similar with cling film allowing a very generous overlap on all sides.
  4. Pour the mix into the cling film in desired quantity.
  5. Gather edges of cling film together and twist tightly until all air is removed and the liquid forms a sphere when held up. Knot the cling film tightly to retain the shape.
  6. Repeat steps for 3 to 5 for each 'tomato'
  7. Hang 'tomatoes' in the fridge until set. I did this by laying a chopstick across the top of a beaker and tying the tail of the cling film to the chopstick so that the 'tomato' was suspended in the beaker. There may be other methods.
  8. When set, carefully unwrap the cling film and place real tomato stalks on top of each 'tomato'

Back
Top Bottom