Blue cheese = horrible

HornedDemoN

Veteran
Local time
4:14 PM
Now I'm pretty open-minded with cheese, but blue cheese is just horrible. Bad taste, unappealing to the eye and just disgusting. So what's the appeal of it, can anyone explain? Perhaps you can add it to something and possibly make it taste better? I just can't think of something like that, but I could be wrong.

I have no idea why people or how people can eat mouldy cheese. It looks god awful. Horrible muck :sick:. The best thing to do with it is to throw it in the bin.:laugh:

I could never just cut a piece off the wheel and start eating it. The blue mold is so potent that it is actually slimy to the touch. I do like the flavor of it in salad dressing or mixed into something, but that is about as close to blue cheese as I will get. I purchased a wedge of it before to make some homemade dressing and it made my whole fridge stink despite the fact I had it sealed in a zipper bag.

If you don't like the taste then I shouldn't think pairing it with anything else will help very much. I love it! Have you tried a really mild and creamy blue like Dolcelatte? Sometimes, people who think they don't like blue cheese have only tried the really strong ones and change their minds when they try a mild one. Sorry, I can't remember your location (top tip, put location under your avatar! See how in @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's thread in Lounge) so I don't know whats available where you are...

Pairing the salty tang of blue cheese with sweeter flavours works well - pear for example or figs. Also bacon works well - melt a little blue cheese on top of your cooked bacon under a grill. Avocado and blue cheese is retro classic (too rich for me). Or you could make a blue cheese salad dressing.

It's one of my weaknesses ,I love soft blue cheese ,Roquefort is my love affair of cheese ,I eat it a couple times a week,I'm not so keen on the raw taste of blue cheese like blue vinney ,it's got a ammonia tang

There is a mild one that is layered with mascarpone cheese. I can't think what it is called for the life of me either right now.

OK found it. "Castelli Torta Di Gorgonzola E Mascarpone" or Gorgonzola & Mascarpone. It is spot on for introducing people to blue cheeses and makes an excellent cheese sauce for pasta.
If you are in the UK then most supermarkets actually sell it both in the cheese counter and the deli counter. It was one of the few blue cheeses I liked when I could have dairy products.

Most blue cheese is too strongly flavored for me, and I just can't get past the smell. I have found a milder Gorgonzola at Trader Joe's which I can tolerate. I make a stuffed chicken breast with Gorgonzola thinned a bit with cream cheese, and I add walnuts and dried cranberries. My husband loves blue cheese, the stronger the better, so I buy it for him to crumble into salads. I won't go near the strong stuff. It actually nauseates me.

Gosh, this thread really divides people more than I would have thought. Being a food forum, I would have assumed that most would like blue cheese. Personally I love it. From strong irony and astringent to creamy and mild, bring it on!. P'raps we should have a poll?

Each to their own. Strangely I love the strong flavor of blue cheese, although the smell is a little off putting. I guess blue cheese has a salty taste and I tend to like salty foods.

Gosh, this thread really divides people more than I would have thought. Being a food forum, I would have assumed that most would like blue cheese. Personally I love it. From strong irony and astringent to creamy and mild, bring it on!. P'raps we should have a poll?
Just because we are on a cooking forum it doesn't mean we are all going to have the same like and dislikes when it comes to bleu cheese. I hate salmon and if I see a recipe with salmon in it, I skip right past it. In fact, I'm not fond of most sea-creatures with scales. But I love shellfish. Taste is subjective.

Hmm, a cheese bust-up.

In the Blue Corner, Shropshire, Cashel and Stilton.
In the Red Corner: Welsh Dragon and associates

Me, for once (and probably the only time) in my life, I'm on the side of the blues.
I'll be the ref., seldom eat it on its own & I don't go out of my way to include it in food. Whatever the colour.

Just because we are on a cooking forum it doesn't mean we are all going to have the same like and dislikes when it comes to bleu cheese. I hate salmon and if I see a recipe with salmon in it, I skip right past it. In fact, I'm not fond of most sea-creatures with scales. But I love shellfish. Taste is subjective.
Freshwater Salmon?

Back
Top Bottom