Votes: 17 63.0%
  • It depends on which type

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • It depends how its used in a recipe

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I hate it!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
I´ve just found my "American Cheese" file. There are two blue cheeses I´d recommend. The first is called Rogue Creamery Blue. My notes says it´s aggressive in flavour – like a Danish Blue, but creamier. Slightly grainy texture (not unpleasant) . Blue cheese wrapped in grape leaves and washed in brandy (although I failed to see the point of wrapping it in grape leaves and bathing it in brandy, because those aspects were simply not present.
The second is really good. Bayley Hazen Blue - from the Jasper Hill Farm creamery in Vermont. Lovely balance, good bite to it, and I´d say mild to medium on the blue cheese scale.
Both, however, were expensive.

I´ve just found my "American Cheese" file.

For a moment there, I thought you meant American Cheese. I can't think of two things that are more different:

Blue Cheese is sharp; American Cheese is bland.
Blue Cheese is blueish; American Cheese is orange.
Blue Cheese is crumbly; American Cheeses is creamy.
Blue Cheese originated in France; American Cheese originated in...Switzerland. Seriously.
Blue Cheese is cheese; American Cheese isn't.

I think, when you combine the two, it's like crossing the beams in Ghostbusters. Here's a molecular-level illustration of what happens when you try to combine Blue Cheese and American Cheese:

matter_vs_antimatter.gif

Last edited:
Hey! Not true. Stilton is British.

Edit: well I suppose Roquefort might predate it...

It seems that the first appearance of Roquefort was in France:

Blue cheese - Wikipedia

This may or may not have been one of the contributing factors that led to the 100 Years War.

Originated in France - apparently from the 7th century. I´m pretty sure the Blue Cheese skills came with William the Conqueror, in 1066, and the English learned from them.
Are French blues better than English blues? I ´d say they´re simply different. The rich , piquant creaminess of a mature Stilton cheese is not comparable to a Roquefort. Why? One is made with cow´s milk, the other with sheep´s milk. What makes the difference from a St Augur? Different cows, different grass, volcanic earth, different ageing process. And Spanish Cabrales? Divine - but different, again, because it´s a combination of cow´s, sheep´ and goat´s milk. When choosing the cheeses, you need to think " right - what am I going to pair this with? Sweet wine? Sherry? Whisky? a sauvignon blanc? " and what other food??
I have, however, yet to find a Danish Blue which does not taste cheap and nasty.

Currently, the poll shows 63.2% of us are blue cheese lovers and 21.1% are 'haters'. The rest are in between. Have you voted yet?

Is this another 'genetic' thing? I mean, like coriander leaves/cilantro leaves which are proven to taste 'soapy' to some people because of their genetics. I'm asking this because blue cheese is most definitely a umami flavour. It ought to appeal to those who love food and cooking. Yet a fifth of members dislike it. Its obviously a small sample of food lovers but it leads me to ask: is the dislike genetic or to do with upbringing/culture?

Back
Top Bottom