Votes: 17 63.0%
  • It depends on which type

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • It depends how its used in a recipe

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I hate it!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
It ought to appeal to those who love food and cooking. Yet a fifth of members dislike it. Its obviously a small sample of food lovers but it leads me to ask: is the dislike genetic or to do with upbringing/culture?
I wonder whether it´s a demographic thing. A HUGE number of Venezuelans, for example, cannot eat chiles. They just don´t like the heat, and yet, chiles grow in abundance there. A lot of Brits can´t take the "sweet & savoury" combination. A lot of Americans don´t like cilantro . I wonder whether that is a factor.

Currently, the poll shows 63.2% of us are blue cheese lovers and 21.1% are 'haters'. The rest are in between. Have you voted yet?

Is this another 'genetic' thing? I mean, like coriander leaves/cilantro leaves which are proven to taste 'soapy' to some people because of their genetics. I'm asking this because blue cheese is most definitely a umami flavour. It ought to appeal to those who love food and cooking. Yet a fifth of members dislike it. Its obviously a small sample of food lovers but it leads me to ask: is the dislike genetic or to do with upbringing/culture?

I was honestly surprised that so many like blue cheese. I wonder how things will stack up when I get around to posting a poll about anchovies. I'd be surprised if more than 10% say they like it. :laugh:

I wonder whether it´s a demographic thing. A HUGE number of Venezuelans, for example, cannot eat chiles. They just don´t like the heat, and yet, chiles grow in abundance there. A lot of Brits can´t take the "sweet & savoury" combination. A lot of Americans don´t like cilantro . I wonder whether that is a factor.

That is odd. If it was demographic and chillies grow in abundance in Venezuela one would have thought they would like them.

Re Brits and sweet/savoury, it certainly didn't used to be so. A multitude of English recipes from the middle ages onwards use that combination. I think we got very damaged by the wars in terms of food. Plain food became the norm.

Back to the topic of blue cheese. The only sort I ever tasted as a working class kid was Danish blue. I think it was probably cheap and available at the local co-op. But I do remember my Dad, who came from the West country talking about how much he liked Blue Vinny (a Dorset cheese).

Blue cheese is possibly my favourite style of cheese.

My daughter started eating blue cheese before her first birthday. My son only eats it in dishes and my partner used to think he didn’t eat cheese - he’s been eating it in various dishes for 25 years and has come to the point where he likes the flavour of cheese as long as it’s not over the top. Will even add a thin slice of cheddar to a burger.

Most of you know I rep for an artisan cheese company and I love all their products but their particular blue cheese “Roobi Blue” (named for the area in was developed in) is possibly my all time favourite cheese.

It’s firm set yet creamy, very yellow with mould running right through it. It does in fact have the same cream content as our double cream brie which is why when I’m selling it I find myself converting people who generally aren’t blue enthusiasts. Its taste is rich, salted buttery on the tongue and the blue takes a moment to build on the palate and comes toward the throat. It’s deceptively mild when you first try it but that blue keeps on coming.

Current faves beside Second Mouse Co blue would be:

Shadows of Blue - which is a double cream blue - texture like a double cream brie. Very soft. Collapsed at warm room temp.

Gorgonzola dolce - we go through a lot of this here. Smeared on toasted Italian style bread with figs in season and a drizzle of honey. Also can’t beat it with gnocchi.

I like the strong ones too though I’ve occasionally found ones so intense I’ve ended up using them in dishes.

I worked at David Jones in the 1990’s when they had amazing food markets on the first floors of their stores. My favourite thing on breaks was to go talk to the fheesemongers and taste various cheeses. Buying the very expensive imported cheeses in small amounts with my staff discount.

It’s firm set yet creamy, very yellow with mould running right through it. It does in fact have the same cream content as our double cream brie which is why when I’m selling it I find myself converting people who generally aren’t blue enthusiasts. Its taste is rich, salted buttery on the tongue and the blue takes a moment to build on the palate and comes toward the throat. It’s deceptively mild when you first try it but that blue keeps on coming.

You certainly have a way with words. I'm salivating and really wanting to taste this. Not much chance I suppose, as I'm in the UK.

Currently, the poll shows 63.2% of us are blue cheese lovers and 21.1% are 'haters'. The rest are in between. Have you voted yet?

Is this another 'genetic' thing? I mean, like coriander leaves/cilantro leaves which are proven to taste 'soapy' to some people because of their genetics. I'm asking this because blue cheese is most definitely a umami flavour. It ought to appeal to those who love food and cooking. Yet a fifth of members dislike it. Its obviously a small sample of food lovers but it leads me to ask: is the dislike genetic or to do with upbringing/culture?
Both my parents, aunts, uncles, and my 5 siblings love/loved blue cheese. I am the only one in my family who doesn't. No idea about my grandparents because they passed away when I was very young.

I like blues...in music. I don't like blue stuff growing on my food!

Love blue cheese.
Steak and blue cheese sauce (one block melted into some double cream and another crumbled in just at the end for lumps of blue delight) you might feel your arteries clogging as you eat it but its worth it :happy:
Or the cheese on it own (crackers or wotnot) with Membrillo or Quince cheese for that sweet salty sharp combo. Yum.

is the dislike genetic or to do with upbringing/culture?
I always wonder things like that as well, and the more I think about it, I’m not sure how much upbringing, at least in my case, has to do with it.

I never tried salami until I was 21-22 years old. Never had it. Not sure it ever saw it in person. One bite…instant love, and I could live on salami. Can’t get enough of the stuff.

With regards to blue cheese, my FIL would eat anything - human garbage disposal. Headcheese, souse, the more objectionable the better. He loved blue cheese.

His wife…hated it. My wife, loves it. Her older sister, hates it. Her middle sister, loves it.

🤷🏻

Ultimately, some things just can’t be answered.

Strange, because when you get an infection, the docs usually prescribe an antibiotic - like penicillin? Penicillin is what makes blue cheese blue.
You won't see me happily noshing on pills, ever. I throw it as far back in my throat as possible and swallow lots of water immediately. Which is what I'd do with blue cheese if I was starving to death and there was nothing else to eat! :laugh:

I always wonder things like that as well, and the more I think about it, I’m not sure how much upbringing, at least in my case, has to do with it.

I never tried salami until I was 21-22 years old. Never had it. Not sure it ever saw it in person. One bite…instant love, and I could live on salami. Can’t get enough of the stuff.

With regards to blue cheese, my FIL would eat anything - human garbage disposal. Headcheese, souse, the more objectionable the better. He loved blue cheese.

His wife…hated it. My wife, loves it. Her older sister, hates it. Her middle sister, loves it.

🤷🏻

Ultimately, some things just can’t be answered.
I tried it when I was a little kid (about 5), hated it. In my family we were encouraged to try foods we disliked every few years to see if our tastes had changed, so I did. My dislike remains the same.

For a moment there, I thought you meant American Cheese. I can't think of two things that are more different:

Blue Cheese is sharp; American Cheese is bland.
Blue Cheese is blueish; American Cheese is orange.
Blue Cheese is crumbly; American Cheeses is creamy.
Blue Cheese originated in France; American Cheese originated in...Switzerland. Seriously.
Blue Cheese is cheese; American Cheese isn't.

I think, when you combine the two, it's like crossing the beams in Ghostbusters. Here's a molecular-level illustration of what happens when you try to combine Blue Cheese and American Cheese:

View attachment 97712

There is also white American cheese, which I prefer (just bought some today). But, the saving grace for American cheese is the good ole' greasy cheeseburger. :okay:

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 6.39.13 PM.jpg

CD

I read somewhere that Asians have the highest percentage of the cilantro "soap" gene. It is pretty high in the US, but we are a mixing pot of ethnicities, so it is hard to pin us down. I know I have it.

As for bleu cheese, I don't like it by itself, but crumbled on a salad, or in a dip for Buffalo wings, I'm okay with it. I'm that way with most crumbly cheeses. They tend to be a bit too potent on their own, to me.

CD

Back
Top Bottom