• I hate it!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:38 AM
Most people like cheese of some sort, but when it comes to blue cheese there seem to be many who really can't abide it. I love all blue cheese whether its eaten as it is or in a cooked dish. What about you?

Please participate in the poll and let us know your favourite blue cheeses and ways to use them in recipes.

This should make my opinion clear:

0ECB17D9-09E7-451F-A3CD-03F20F8DBC4B.jpeg

We’re a divided house, BTW…MrsT loves the stuff!

For some reason, I don't like Cabrales. I've tried a couple of brands and just blech.

Haven't met a blue/bleu cheese I didn't like otherwise. I love Papillon Bleu. Hard to find in U.S. though.

Last edited:
I like Maytag and Trader Joe’s blue cheese. I can eat them by themselves without even crackers. I like mild blue cheese, the stronger ones I would use to make dressing/dip.

We love it here and now with my dairy allergy, we make our own dairy free blue cheese. There aren't many vegan blue cheese moulds available but the 2 I can get do make an excellent blue cheese.

I would so much like to taste your vegan blue cheeses. They certainly look the part. I think you will have tasted dairy blue cheese before. Is there a difference in taste? Do you think anyone tasting your cheese would realise it is non-dairy?

Those people who have never tried blue cheese, or believe that blue cheese tastes nasty, well... I feel sorry for them. I mean, I might even go outside and sob for a while. 😭 😭 😭
Blue cheese is spicy, piquant, creamy, or smooth, or crumbly. Creating a good blue cheese is the zenith of a cheesemaker´s skills. A delicate balance between salty, pungent and creamy. Who could not marvel at a slice of blue Stilton with a glass of port?

I would so much like to taste your vegan blue cheeses. They certainly look the part. I think you will have tasted dairy blue cheese before. Is there a difference in taste? Do you think anyone tasting your cheese would realise it is non-dairy?
If you were to find a dairy cheese with the same mould, it would taste pretty similar. We did use to eat blue cheeses.

The creamy cashew nut background is just the medium for the mould to take center stage and not that different from a "bland" dairy base that the same mould grows in. The only issue I've had is obtaining a decent range of blue moulds to use. Commercially, that shouldn't be a problem, but as a consumer it is much more difficult. I know that some vegans will use dairy based moulds, but with my allergy being very pinicketty I won't risk it, purely from a health point of view. I've had anaphylaxis from an antihistamine tablet before now, so it's just not worth the risk.

So from my memory, taste was good and very close to a dairy based blue cheese. Texture is the main issue still.

Back
Top Bottom