Boats and cars

You guys talking about good wood, I was there in 98 for glorious good wood horse racing. I never seen so many rolls or bentleys and chauffeurs. It blew me away.

Russ

I have owned two Mustangs. The first one I don't talk about. It was a POS. The second was a1985 Mustang 5.0 liter car, but not a GT. The GTs were tacky looking. Bought it brand new. Mine had the same engine and performance options, with a pretty metallic grey paint job, and much nicer interior. It was basically a really fast luxury car.

It got pretty much totaled by a North Texas hail storm when it was six months old. Golf ball to baseball sized hail. I got it repaired, which took three months, and sold it for a loss. They had to replace the roof, You can't do that without ruining the structure of the car.

CD

I have owned two Mustangs. The first one I don't talk about. It was a POS. The second was a1985 Mustang 5.0 liter car, but not a GT. The Gas were tacky looking. Mine had the same engine and performance options, with a pretty metallic grey paint job, and much nicer interior. It was basically a really fast luxury car.

It got pretty much totaled by a North Texas hail storm when it was six months old. Golf ball to baseball sized hail. I got it repaired, which took three months, and sold it for a loss. They had to replace the roof, You can't do that without ruining the structure of the car.

CD

I spent nothing on my 66 notchback. Guy before me resto from ground up. $3k American racing mags I was told. I paid $12k in 98 and sold it for $6 profit, failed m.o.t and needed about $5k spent on it, I'm still looking for a 64 EH Holden. Wish I never sold mine.
Son had a 65 Impala. Sold it to buy a house. Cars huh ?

Russ

I spent nothing on my 66 notchback. Guy before me resto from ground up. $3k American racing mags I was told. I paid $12k in 98 and sold it for $6 profit, failed m.o.t and needed about $5k spent on it, I'm still looking for a 64 EH Holden. Wish I never sold mine.
Son had a 65 Impala. Sold it to buy a house. Cars huh ?

Russ

I've been a car nut since I got my first Tonka toy truck when I was about four. I'm 59 years old, and have lost count of how many cars I have owned. Last time I tried to count them up, it was about 45 cars and trucks.

In my twenties and thirties, I bought a new car every year. It has slowed down considerably since then. Partially because the cost of new cars, but mostly because I am not as restless for a new car anymore. I find what I want, buy it, and keep it.

I love my daily driver Mini CooperS, and would be happy to own it for the rest of my life, even if (when) I buy other cars. That car is like "comfort food" to me. It just feels like it was made for me, even with its faults. I can go out of town for a month, and when I get back to DFW airport, there it is, waiting for me. And I drive it home like it was meant to be driven, and I sense it is as happy as I am to be driven like that.

Yeah, I'm a car nut.

CD

I've been a car nut since I got my first Tonka toy truck when I was about four. I'm 59 years old, and have lost count of how many cars I have owned. Last time I tried to count them up, it was about 45 cars and trucks.

In my twenties and thirties, I bought a new car every year. It has slowed down considerably since then. Partially because the cost of new cars, but mostly because I am not as restless for a new car anymore. I find what I want, buy it, and keep it.

I love my daily driver Mini CooperS, and would be happy to own it for the rest of my life, even if (when) I buy other cars. That car is like "comfort food" to me. It just feels like it was made for me, even with its faults. I can go out of town for a month, and when I get back to DFW airport, there it is, waiting for me. And I drive it home like it was meant to be driven, and I sense it is as happy as I am to be driven like that.

Yeah, I'm a car nut.

CD

My grandad had a 39 chev fleet master?? An uncle had a bel air. We used to,go out with them occasionally. I always loved yank tanks,lol. My mum bought the first family car when I was about 13 ? A Morris minor 850 cc side valve. When I went into business I bought brand new Toyota hiluxes sr5 every three years, I was doing 70,000 kms a year. (Disconnected speedo cable at gearbox end.)
At 15 I bought a ford popular, I was going to put a v6 or 8'in it, girls took preference over cars then,lol.
My last hilux was a p.o.s assembled in Thailand, nothing but trouble. Been Holden (Gm) since then. Although Aussie aren't assembling them now. Don't know what I'll get next.??

Russ

My grandad had a 39 chev fleet master?? An uncle had a bel air. We used to,go out with them occasionally. I always loved yank tanks,lol. My mum bought the first family car when I was about 13 ? A Morris minor 850 cc side valve. When I went into business I bought brand new Toyota hiluxes sr5 every three years, I was doing 70,000 kms a year. (Disconnected speedo cable at gearbox end.)
At 15 I bought a ford popular, I was going to put a v6 or 8'in it, girls took preference over cars then,lol.
My last hilux was a p.o.s assembled in Thailand, nothing but trouble. Been Holden (Gm) since then. Although Aussie aren't assembling them now. Don't know what I'll get next.??

Russ

Yeah, it seems Ford and GM have not been kind to Australia, and by default, New Zealand. But, they are now selling a commodity. It's like selling the proverbial widgets. You have to sell a lot of them, or close the shop.

GM tried to sell some Commodore V8s here, but they didn't sell. Different marketplace.

Good luck!

CD

Yeah, it seems Ford and GM have not been kind to Australia, and by default, New Zealand. But, they are now selling a commodity. It's like selling the proverbial widgets. You have to sell a lot of them, or close the shop.

GM tried to sell some Commodore V8s here, but they didn't sell. Different marketplace.

Good luck!

CD

I like the new Rams, but I can't justify it. Or store it. ( too big) I also like the Vw trucks as well. The Tuareg?

Russ

I like the new Rams, but I can't justify it. Or store it. ( too big) I also like the Vw trucks as well. The Tuareg?

Russ

The Tuareg is dead as a new car. Replaced by the Atlas. Same platform as the Audi Q7, for a lot less money. Certainly worth a look.

CD

Russ
I had a Tuareg a few years ago. A really nice, well constructed car, and the cabin was a nice place to spend time in. However, the potential cost of replacing both turbos on the V10 engine had me running for the hills. The newer V6's are far more sensible, and offer similar power.

I'd love to have a beer with you at Goodwood. I'm not supposed to drink beer anymore, but I would make an exception for that occasion. Make it good beer! I'm not enough of a of a cheap date to settle for cheap beer.

CD
Sounds like a plan! I haven't been for about ten years. Last went with my wife, who enjoyed the experience, but didn't see what all the fuss was about. Previously went a couple of times with eldest son, who is a petrolhead. I think the first time was in the early days, 1998/9 for a big Porsche birthday. Managed to blag tickets and hospitality via the Top Gear Driver Club. Still haven't been to the Renaissance meet though.

I had a Tuareg a few years ago. A really nice, well constructed car, and the cabin was a nice place to spend time in. However, the potential cost of replacing both turbos on the V10 engine had me running for the hills. The newer V6's are far more sensible, and offer similar power.

You had the V10 TD? That was a torque monster, We only got a few over here.

My A6 allroad was a money pit, too. Twin turbo. Air suspension. I loved that car, but it was just so expensive to maintain with all the high-tech in it. RAC Performance (customer) did my repairs for cost, and it was still a lot of money.

CD

Audi A6 allroad Quattro.
I sold the Porsche and because I liked the V70 I bought this Quattro estate.

The snow was not so bad that year.

You had the V10 TD? That was a torque monster, We only got a few over here.

My A6 allroad was a money pit, too. Twin turbo. Air suspension. I loved that car, but it was just so expensive to maintain with all the high-tech in it. RAC Performance (customer) did my repairs for cost, and it was still a lot of money.

CD
Yes, there is a youtube film of one pulling a 747. The adjustable air suspension could drop it down 6 inches and make it the nearest you could get to sports car handling from a big SUV.

Talking of adjustable suspension, that was the killer on the Allroad. Too much complication alongside the 4wd trickery. I had the 2.7TT, lovely car but it had to go when it started making expensive sounding grinding noises when going round corners.

I love my daily driver Mini CooperS
One of my cousin Mikes best friend and colleagues was this guy " Troy Kennedy Martin was a Scottish-born film and television screenwriter best known for creating the long-running BBC TV police series Z-Cars, and for the award-winning 1985 anti-nuclear drama Edge of Darkness. His best-known work for the cinema was the screenplay for the original version of The Italian Job." Both were mad. To get inside the screenplay Mike and Troy borrowed a pre production model and visited us.

Back
Top Bottom