Local time
8:12 PM
A very old favourite of mine.

Ingredients
  • 2 tblsp Olive oil
  • ¾ tsp Black mustard seeds
  • ¾ tsp Chili powder (or cayenne pepper) - I use slightly more
  • ½ tsp Turmeric powder
  • 400 gm Potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (25 mm)
  • Salt, to taste
bombay-5.jpg

Method

Boil the potatoes, drain and leave to cool.

Heat the oil in a wok over a medium flame. When hot, add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, add the Cayenne pepper (or chili powder), turmeric and salt. Stir around for 1 minute then add the potatoes and stir fry for 5 minutes at which time they should be brown/yellow and coated in seeds.

Reduce the heat to low, cover the wok and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes.

Serve hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent...I have everything I need, so I can make this tonight! I can't see your image (not sure why that happens sometimes), but I will know soon enough what it looks like when I make it. Thanks for posting this!

Hopefully you will post an image?

It's transferred from a URL again. I've copied it and re-posted it below:
Thank you! Wow...this looks even better than I expected! I'm probably making this tonight...I decided to spend last night making @SatNavSaysStraightOn's Lemon Basil Ice Cream.

Yes, @Yorky, I will absolutely post an image. :)

Last edited:
Doable I say.. I have to get my groove back but this looks simple enough even if I don't have any black mustard seeds.

Such an easy peasy recipe - the musky mustard seeds really work. I used Jersey Royals (new potatoes). I know that you can only get one type of potatoes though in Thailand and I can't remember if they are old floury type, new waxy type or in between. But anyway - new potatoes work. I think old potatoes would as well. To be served tonight with a lentil and aubergine cheesy bake. :D

20170610_183258.jpg

20170610_183310.jpg

IMG_0789.JPG
Here's my take on your beautiful recipe. If it looks a bit different, there's a reason for that. Instead of just using potatoes, I mixed in Malanga root with the potato. And, I couldn't resist adding fenugreek leaves. These root vegetables have a kick to them. I like it.

IMG_0787.JPG
Here's some more about the Malanga root. I realized, too late, that you didn't peel the potatoes. When you see with the Malanga root looks like unpeeled, I think you'll understand why I peeled them. I just automatically peeled the potatoes next.

I'd never heard of Malanga root. It looks like a yam. I think the idea of adding fenugreek is excellent - were they fresh fenugreek leaves? I find them hard to get but have obtained them in Asian shops. Dried fenugreek doesn't have the same pungency.

Back
Top Bottom