Recipe Boterkoek (Dutch style soft shortbread)

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
3:27 PM
Website
www.instagram.com
I can't really compare Boterkoek (buttercake) to anything else I know from outside of the Netherlands. Shortbread comes the closest, so I have chosen to describe this as a soft shortbread. It's very rich and creamy. I hope you like it!
20230913_151423.jpg

Ingredients for the dough:
350 grams of plain flour
300 white cane sugar
300 g unsalted softened butter
1 egg
Zest of 1 orange
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 teaspoon salt

For the wash:
1 egg, beaten
Optional almonds for decoration

1) Preheat the oven to 180 celcius. Line a medium spring form (28 cm) with baking paper. Spray some oil on the paper to make sure it doesn't stick at all. Then put the form in the fridge.
2) Cream the softened butter with the sugar, the egg, the salt, and the orange zest. Then add the flour. Do not mix by hand, but with a spoon and try to be as efficient as possible, stirring the dough as little as possible. Mix in the lemon juice when the mixture gets a little too dry.
3) Put the thick shiny batter in the tin, smooth it out as much as possible and then cover with the egg wash. Then use a fork to make a nice pattern, and add the almonds for decoration.
4) Put the dough back in the fridge for 25 minutes.
5) Then bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
6) IMPORTANT: LET COOL COMPLETELY. Then put in the fridge overnight. THEN cut into squares as shown below. It is very rich, so don't make the pieces too big.
Boterkoek.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. You should tag it as a recipe.

I made this except I used vanilla bean seeds instead of the citrus. We both like it. Craig really likes it because he's a huge fan of shortbread. Soft shortbread is a perfect description.
Have you tried the Trader Joe's vanilla bean paste? I like it. It is weet though.

Back
Top Bottom