Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:41 AM
INGREDIENTS

4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs

Salt
Black pepper
Cayenne to taste
2 Tsp Herbes de Provence (No Herbes de Provence - had make a mixture using herbs in my pantry)
2 TBSP EVOO
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
1/2 cup pitted and sliced green olives (horizontally)
1/2 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives
1 cup chicken broth
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 Tsp cumin
2 TBSP chopped flat leaf parsley
2 TBSP cold butter cubed
2 TBSP brine from Kalamata olives

METHOD

Pat chicken dry
Season skin side with salt pepper and cayenne
Season meat side with salt, pepper, cayenne and Herbes de Provence
Skin side up set aside for 10 minutes

Heat olive oil in a heavy saute pan or skillet over medium high/high heat. Place chicken skin side down in pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook until skin is browned, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken and cook until just brown, about 2 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add shallots to hot pan and cook until softened and golden. Add olives and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Pour chicken broth into pan. Bring to a boil stirring and scraping bits from the bottom of the pan. I like to use a wooden spoon. Add lemon juice, brine, cumin and lemon zest. Increase heat to high and boil until liquid has reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Return chicken to the pan skin side up and cover. Cook until no longer pink in the center and juices run clear (165 degrees F 74 degrees C).
Remove to a plate and keep warm.
Add parsley and butter to sauce, stir constantly until butter is melted and sauce is shiny.
Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.

INGREDIENTS

4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
View attachment 39337

Salt
Black pepper
Cayenne to taste
2 Tsp Herbes de Provence (No Herbes de Provence - had make a mixture using herbs in my pantry)
2 TBSP EVOO
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
1/2 cup pitted and sliced green olives (horizontally)
1/2 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives
1 cup chicken broth
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 Tsp cumin
2 TBSP chopped flat leaf parsley
2 TBSP cold butter cubed
2 TBSP brine from Kalamata olives

METHOD

Pat chicken dry
Season skin side with salt pepper and cayenne
Season meat side with salt, pepper, cayenne and Herbes de Provence
Skin side up set aside for 10 minutes

Heat olive oil in a heavy saute pan or skillet over medium high/high heat. Place chicken skin side down in pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook until skin is browned, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken and cook until just brown, about 2 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add shallots to hot pan and cook until softened and golden. Add olives and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Pour chicken broth into pan. Bring to a boil stirring and scraping bits from the bottom of the pan. I like to use a wooden spoon. Add lemon juice, brine, cumin and lemon zest. Increase heat to high and boil until liquid has reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Return chicken to the pan skin side up and cover. Cook until no longer pink in the center and juices run clear (165 degrees F 74 degrees C).
Remove to a plate and keep warm.
Add parsley and butter to sauce, stir constantly until butter is melted and sauce is shiny.
Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.

View attachment 39338
This look so good Bella Bravo!

Sarana x

I'm going to try this, though it'll have to be with boneless/skinless thighs, as that's all I have. I'll just tell myself I'm intentionally being healthy. :)

I'm thinking some kind of rice would make a good side dish for this.

Any suggestions? I don't make a lot of rice, so my rice grab-bag is fairly empty.

I'm thinking some kind of rice would make a good side dish for this.

Any suggestions? I don't make a lot of rice, so my rice grab-bag is fairly empty.
Plain white rice, brown rice or wild rice if you want to put the gravy on it, mushroom risotto if it is for a side. The olives pack a punch of flavor. We both found it best to have both the chicken and olives in the same bite.

I made this! I made this!

I love olives, so I was excited to try this, especially since my only real experience with them is as a snack or on a board of light bites, so to speak.

First, I did make two changes - I used boneless, skinless thighs, because that's what I had, and since morning glory has nudged me ever so slightly recently to try being a little more adventurous, I grabbed a few dates, chopped those up, and tossed those in as well. I feel so wild and crazy! :hyper:

Ok. This is good. Seriously good. Maybe just because it's an unexpected flavor combo around my house, but this dish is flat-out exciting to eat.

For us, it was the familiarity of chicken and chicken stock sauce, with the punch to the tastebuds of the olives. It's salty, it's citrusy, it's velvety, and it's chickeny. It's damn delicious is what it is.

Served with a side of plain white rice (which means rice pudding tomorrow!), and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

OMG
TR you make me blush. I LOVE the addition of dates. I really wish I had Castelvetrano olives. That would be perfection. When this pandemic insanity is over I will make this again with Castelvetrano Olives. I will also try adding dates. True inspiration.
I will use skin on bone in chicken thighs. My preference.

Back
Top Bottom