1 TB vegetable oil
2 large fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
2 large leeks, white and pale green parts, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup grated young pecorino cheese
1/4 cup chives, cut into 1/2-inch lengths

Directions
First Day:
Preheat oven to 350F. Season the pork with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, brown the pork in 2 TB oil. Remove the pork and pour off the fat. Add 2 TB of oil to the pot. Add the celery, carrots, and the 2 onions and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 15 minutes. Add the tomato paste, wine and stock; bring to a bioil. Add the pork and cherries, cover and braise in the oven fo r4 hours. Let cool, then refrigerate overnight.

Second Day:
Skim the fat from the liquid and remove the pork. Boil the gravy until it's reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 25 minutes. Strain the gravy into a saucepan and season with salt and pepper and keep warm. Untie the pork and slice into 6-8 medallions.

In a skillet, combine 2 TB oil with the fennel, leeks, and 1 onion. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the vegetabls are softened, about 7 minutes. Add the cream and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the cheese and chives, and season with salt and pepper.

In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 TB oil. Add the pork and brown well. Serve with the gravy and vegetables.

Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan via Food & Wine's 2013 Annual Cookbook

This is extraordinary. The flavors in the separate components work tremendously well together. This would make a terrific special occasion meal.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Wine

BRAISED PORK WITH CHERRY GRAVY
Serves 6

***NOTE: Overnight chilling involved. Plan accordingly!***

Ingredients
First Day:
4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, tied
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 TB vegetable oil, dividied
6 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 onions, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup dried sour cherries

Second Day:
Salt and pepper
1 TB vegetable oil
2 large fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
2 large leeks, white and pale green parts, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup grated young pecorino cheese
1/4 cup chives, cut into 1/2-inch lengths

Directions
First Day:
Preheat oven to 350F. Season the pork with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, brown the pork in 2 TB oil. Remove the pork and pour off the fat. Add 2 TB of oil to the pot. Add the celery, carrots, and the 2 onions and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 15 minutes. Add the tomato paste, wine and stock; bring to a bioil. Add the pork and cherries, cover and braise in the oven fo r4 hours. Let cool, then refrigerate overnight.

Second Day:
Skim the fat from the liquid and remove the pork. Boil the gravy until it's reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 25 minutes. Strain the gravy into a saucepan and season with salt and pepper and keep warm. Untie the pork and slice into 6-8 medallions.

In a skillet, combine 2 TB oil with the fennel, leeks, and 1 onion. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the vegetabls are softened, about 7 minutes. Add the cream and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the cheese and chives, and season with salt and pepper.

In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 TB oil. Add the pork and brown well. Serve with the gravy and vegetables.

Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan via Food & Wine's 2013 Annual Cookbook

This is extraordinary. The flavors in the separate components work tremendously well together. This would make a terrific special occasion meal.

Looks amazing. To Mrs ts taste?

Russ

How interesting. I would never have thought of partially cooking the pork one day, then finishing it the next, unless it was a prep for a big family meal. But, it sounds like it’s worth the extra effort. What do you think is happening between day 1 and day 2 that works the magic?

How interesting. I would never have thought of partially cooking the pork one day, then finishing it the next, unless it was a prep for a big family meal. But, it sounds like it’s worth the extra effort. What do you think is happening between day 1 and day 2 that works the magic?
I would have never thought of that either, which is why it caught me up short when I made it. :laugh:

The pork is fully cooked by the time it goes into the fridge, so my guess is it's mainly to let the cherry gravy develop its flavors, along with the added benefit of easy fat removal (it peels right off).

I can't say enough how impressed I was with this. When I sliced the pork (a little cooler than room temp), I wasn't all that impressed with the feel of it, frankly, and I really thought sautéing the slices would dry it out considerably, but it didn't. As soon as it heated up, the flavor and the texture developed perfectly. Sometimes, overly-cooked shoulder can come out a little mealy or almost powdery, but this was just right where it needed to be.

Back
Top Bottom