Recipe Breakfast Pork Sausage Patties:

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
8:43 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
One of my favorite things to do with ground pork!

pork-sausage-3.jpg

(Breakfast pork sausage, with apple. Seasoned with fennel, sage, and a mild smoked paprika. A little nutmeg.)

Fennel, sage and apples definitely marry well with pork.

pork-sausage-1.jpg

(Dicing apples. Some caffeine in the background.)

I’m using the above linked recipe as inspiration for the apple parts. Rest is all mine!

For the ground pork, I am using pork obtained from a meat share. I am looking forward to buying a meat grinder some day, so I can grind my own cuts of meat. Such a grinder will also have a link-stuffing function, if you do have one, I’m sure this sausage would be also good made into links (just cut the apple even finer).

pork-sausage-2.jpg

Prep Time: Say, 15 minutes.
Cook Time: About 6 minutes for the apple, 10 minutes for the patties themselves.
(Times will take longer the first time around if you have to adjust seasonings)
Rest Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
Leftovers?: Discussed below.

Pork Sausage Patties: Apple, Fennel Seed, Smoked Paprika, Sage​

• 1 pound ground pork
  • 1 tart apple, skin on or peeled. Cored and diced small.
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted as below.
  • 2 teaspoons sage
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (I used mild, you can use hot, or mix it up)
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • Cooking oil, avocado oil is recommended
Toast the fennel seeds in about half a teaspoon of oil for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat.

In a bowl, place the meat, and add all the seasonings on top.

In the same skillet you used for the fennel seeds, cook the diced apple for about 6-8 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. (If you need more oil, add a little, possibly a couple teaspoons…)

Remove from heat, and let stand for about 5 minutes until cool enough to work with. Add to the bowl with the meat and spices.

Using your hands, mix the entire thing together.

Drop about a teaspoonful of your mixture onto your hot skillet and cook that for a few minutes… taste. Adjust spices as needed. (The above list is what I ended up with after adjusting.)

Shape into patties of your preferred size, and cook on the skillet – these were about 1/2 inch or so in thickness and about 3 inches in diameter. At medium heat, I cooked them about 6 minutes on one side, 5 on the other, with about 30 seconds back on the original side. You want them well done – it’s pork. And ground pork will remain moist. But judge by your own cooktop.

Garnish with whatever you wish (I had watercress to hand), and let rest for 5 minutes.

Eat, and enjoy!

I reserved the leftover meat in the fridge. If your pork didn’t come frozen as mine does, you can shape up the patties, tightly wrap with plastic cling wrap, and freeze raw and ready for a future date. Or, you can cook them all and freeze. If you store the patties in the fridge, I’d cook them within a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom