Brussels sprout shortage

According to this evening's news, the extremely hot weather experienced in the UK this summer has resulted in a poor crop of Brussels sprouts as well as some other vegetables. Prices are likely to be higher and we are warned that they will be in short supply.

Brussels sprouts are a traditional part of Christmas dinner in the UK. Would a lack of Brussels sprouts bother you? Do you love them or hate them?
According to this evening's news, the extremely hot weather experienced in the UK this summer has resulted in a poor crop of Brussels sprouts as well as some other vegetables. Prices are likely to be higher and we are warned that they will be in short supply.

Brussels sprouts are a traditional part of Christmas dinner in the UK. Would a lack of Brussels sprouts bother you? Do you love them or hate them?

Maybe we'll have a sprout free Christmas this year!
I would feel guilty for depriving the sprout fans if I bought my annual bag of sprouts this Christmas.

Couldn't be without these. I love them in any form - steamed, boiled, shredded. Favourite way is to par boil them, halve then sauté in butter, with or without chestnuts or bacon. We buy them on the tree from a local farm shop.

I can't eat them. They make me feel like i am responsible for killing baby cabbages...i know i am weird.
Funny you should mention that: while they don't grow into large cabbages, I have found that they absolutely can be used the way cabbages are used. For example:
  • Kimchi - cabbage is a traditional kimchi ingredient. I like using Brussels Sprouts better.
  • Slaw - Another case where the flavor of the sprouts elevates it from being a boring old coleslaw.
  • Brussels Sprouts Soup - a riff on cabbage soup. I haven't made this yet, but I plan to do so this weekend (with acorn squash, so I can get an entry into the cooking challenge).
I also love them steamed (with butter spray and a dash of salt), as well as pan fried (with bacon) and finished with balsamic vinegar.

These were not al dente. They were stone cold hard. :ohmy::headshake:

Sprouts take a while to cook through. I have to believe that respectable places partially cook them to meet the dinner demand, then finish them so they don't take half an hour to deliver. I'd guess that this place must have rushed it out to impress you with their quick service. But, clearly, you were not impressed!

IMG_0886a.jpg

No shortage at the market yesterday - this tree was £1.50

I have just ordered some from Riverford Organic, they also sell Sprout Tops; they seem not to have a shortage.

You all have the sprouts ( :sick: ), and I'll have everything else..! :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom