Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:21 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
20181015_001829.jpg

https://absolute0cooking.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-squash-soup/

The sweetness of the squash works nicely with the strong flavor of the Brussels sprouts. The squash is a natural thickener, creating a thick and creamy soup that is also very healthy. This is a simple recipe that I'm sure I'll be making again.

Ingredients

6 cups acorn squash, about 2 medium-sized squash
1 1⁄2 pounds Brussels sprouts
1 tsp canola oil, in spray bottle
2 tsp Berbere seasoning
3 slices thick cut bacon, cut in small pieces
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 serrano pepper, diced
2 Tbsp miso paste
4 cups vegetable stock

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Cut acorn squash in half. Scoop out seeds. Place flesh side up on a baking sheet. Spray a few squirts of oil on the flesh, and dust with berbere.

20181014_223220.jpg

3. Cut stems from Brussels Sprouts. Cut each sprout in half. Spray a baking sheet with oil. Place sprouts - cut side up - on baking sheet. Squirt oil on sprouts, and dust with berbere.

20181014_224446.jpg

4. Place squash and sprouts in oven to bake. After 30 minutes, remove sprouts. Cut the larger pieces in half if desired and set aside. Reserve any crispy leaves that fall on the sheet as a finisher to the soup if desired (or just munch on them).

5. While the squash cooks, add bacon pieces to a large pot on medium heat. Once the fat starts to render, add onion pieces to the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add serrano pepper and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

6. After 15-20 more minutes - or until a fork easily pierces the flesh - remove squash from the oven. Cool if desired, then scoop flesh out.

7. Stir miso paste into the pot with the onion and bacon. Cook for about 1 more minute, then add squash. Stir to coat with bacon and onion mixture.

8. Add stock to the pot, and stir to remove any clumps. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium. Cook for another 30 minutes.

20181014_234052.jpg

9. Working in batches, puree the mixture from the pot in a blender, then return to the pot.

10. Add Brussels sprouts to the soup in the pot. Stir to fully integrate, then serve. Add crispy Brussels sprouts leaves to the bowl as a finisher if desired.

20181015_001647.jpg

Last edited:
I would definitely add crispy brussel sprouts leaves. They are the best!! In fact, I'd peel some of the outer leaves off and roast them by themselves with a little olive oil and S and P so they'd be nice and crispy.

I would definitely add crispy brussel sprouts leaves. They are the best!! In fact, I'd peel some of the outer leaves off and roast them by themselves with a little olive oil and S and P so they'd be nice and crispy.
I'm going to have to buy more sprouts and do that. The crispy leaves were an accident as a result of what fell off in the oven when I roasted them. I ended up picking at them - since they're delicious by themselves - to the point that I don't have any left to finish any more bowls. :laugh:

I'm glad you roasted both sprouts and squash. A lovely combo. The miso added is a good touch and I like that idea of the crispy leaves added as a garnish.

I've had to make an important revision to the recipe. I realized after my second bowl that it needed some heat, so I sauteed a serrano pepper, blended it in with the pureed part, and now I have a spicy/sweet/bitter soup. Much better!

Back
Top Bottom