Building a Burger

I just stumbled on this old photo of a homemade McDonald's Big Mac. :D

MigMac001.jpg

CD

Is this your photo caseydog? Its good. I think photographing burgers is quite difficult.

Yes. Shooting this one high-key seemed to help brighten the colors, and hold the shadow details. IIRC, my key light was my usual 24X36 softbox, and my fill was from a homemade aluminum foil reflector panel. For this shot, I added a second strobe on a boom stand, aimed down at my off-white sheet background. I'm pretty sure this is how I did it.

SetUp.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Yes. Shooting this one high-key seemed to help brighten the colors, and hold the shadow details. IIRC, my key light was my usual 24X36 softbox, and my fill was from a homemade aluminum foil reflector panel. For this shot, I added a second strobe on a boom stand, aimed down at my off-white sheet background. I'm pretty sure this is how I did it.

View attachment 45569

CD

A good trick using the curved paper background. I must remember to try it. I think Yorky has used that technique.

Lately I've been using white boards as a reflector for some shots. I must try aluminium foil as a fill.

A good trick using the curved paper background. I must remember to try it. I think Yorky has used that technique.

Lately I've been using white boards as a reflector for some shots. I must try aluminium foil as a fill.

I use both. Foil will give you more light reflection, for more even lighting, and a little "crisper" (?) light. Use the dull side.

CD

Toasting the bun is an important but underrated part of the operation. I want to crunch into what you posted...you made it very appetizing!

In fact, I brought a burger to lunch today. I will post my assembly process and the finished product, though it certainly won't look as nice as yours!
With mustard, ketchup, cheese, tomato, pickles, mild banana pepper rings, jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, radish slices, loose leaf spinach

Back
Top Bottom