Tonight is Burn's night!

Anyone for haggis? Traditionally a Burns night supper is haggis, neeps and tatties. But you could start with a classic cullen skink (soup) and maybe finosh with a clootie dumpling.

Hmmmm, I need to check the Urban Dictionary for "clootie dumpling." :eek:

CD

I’ve eaten haggis, it’s fine.

The first time I heard “clootie dumpling,” I thought, “That sounds dirty…I want one!” :laugh:

Thanks to my daughter who has a last minute delivery app, I now have haggis for tonight! OK - it may not be the best haggis in the world and it will be cooked it in the microwave, but it will satisfy my craving.

The only time I've ever eaten haggis was in 1984. I know the date exactly, because my wife was travelling and I was supposed to look after my 3-month old son.
Anyway...off I went to the Caracas Sports Club, a predominantly English/European club in Caracas, where I played cricket.
Lots of scotch, lots of Scottish Dunlop cheese, lots of oatcakes and, all of a sudden, the haggis was piped in.
"You gotta try some, wi' tatties 'n' neeps!"
So I did.
Have to be honest: it probably didn't taste bad, but the combination of haggis and abundant scotch whisky probably did me in. I was sick as a dog and spent the next day in a Jimi Hendrix-inspired purple haze.

Thanks to my daughter who has a last minute delivery app, I now have haggis for tonight! OK - it may not be the best haggis in the world and it will be cooked it in the microwave, but it will satisfy my craving.
As long as it’s not from a tin (which I can easily buy here!).

Actually, in theUS, "pud" has a naughty meaning. :laugh:

CD
It’s actually pretty funny with you think about all the food names that serve as substitutes for “naughty” bits (English, anyway).

Back
Top Bottom