The name, it seems, comes from cloot, a type of fabric. When I looked up cloot I came up with hoof. I can't imagine why they call it a dumpling. To me a dumpling is dough that is cooked in boiling liquid. It looks more like fruit cake to me, I might be great. I think food is like cosmology. There is much unknown that can be learned. Haggis doesn't sound appealing to me.

It’s actually pretty funny with you think about all the food names that serve as substitutes for “naughty” bits (English, anyway).

Hmmmmm, I wonder if aubergine has any kind of naughty meaning in the UK? 🍆

CD

I can't imagine why they call it a dumpling. To me a dumpling is dough that is cooked in boiling liquid.
Did you check any recipes, because that’s pretty how it’s made - a dough tied up in a cloth and simmered in water, then finished in the oven.

I love haggis, and I also love a wee dram (or a big one!)

Probably none for me this year, though - we are heading out for dinner tonight, but it’s to celebrate my husband’s birthday!

I had to look up Burns Night and neeps. I remember a discussion on haggis on the forum and guessed that tatties are mashed potatoes.
:scratchhead:
I have never had haggis but would try it in a heartbeat. I grew up eating hog's head cheese, beef tongue and an offal stew called Debris.

Did you check any recipes, because that’s pretty how it’s made - a dough tied up in a cloth and simmered in water, then finished in the oven.
No I was guided by the image I saw in my browser which looked like a wedge of fruitcake with some cream drizzled atop. Now I know it is not that. Thanks for the correction

I had to look up Burns Night and neeps. I remember a discussion on haggis on the forum and guessed that tatties are mashed potatoes.
:scratchhead:
I have never had haggis but would try it in a heartbeat. I grew up eating hog's head cheese, beef tongue and an offal stew called Debris.
Beef tongue was a common menu item in my grandfathers house in Havana. Debris sounds like some of my cooking. :)

Dad always made the Debris. Offal was cheap. Many slaughterhouses threw it away. He used EVERYTHING! Beef brain, tongue, heart, liver, kidneys, thymus and pork chitlins (intestines). I remember him using a little bit of dark roux, the holy trinity and da pope (onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic) and fresh whole kernel corn. I don't remember what else he used. He cooked it outside in a huge cast iron Dutch oven on a propane burner. It was an all-day project. Debris was a treat we all loved.
Mother made stuffed tripe a few times. Another all-day affair. The end result was delicious but the stink from boiling the tripe to clean would turn your stomach.

Back
Top Bottom