The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:19 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
80083289-5CEB-4DD0-BB41-7A09D68D1C29.jpeg

Fish and capers are such a cliche. There’s a reason for that: it’s because they taste amazing together. Maybe the fish can't see so well, and they think the capers are fish eggs? Whatever the reason, it's a winning combo. Citrus also works well with fish, and I leaned heavily into it here, using both the juice and the zest of two limes. The tartness of the lime works well with the bitterness of the capers. Likewise, white wine works with delicate fish like tilapia.

I was surprised by how well this turned out, considering that none of the elements are particularly unique. My wife told me she didn't like tilapia when I served it. But, she said she liked the seasoning. After she had one fillet, she wanted another.

Ingredients

3 pounds tilapia
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons thyme
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 teaspoon salt
2 limes
4 tablespoons butter
2 ounces white wine
3 tablespoons capers

Directions

1. Brush the bottom of a casserole pan (or pans) with a thin layer of oil. I used garlic-seasoned oil.

2. Season tilapia fillets with salt on both sides. Place in casserole pan, trying not to overlap fillets. Season the top of the fillets with paprika, thyme, and garlic.

3. Place butter, wine, and capers in a microwave safe bowl. Zest the limes, then juice them, into the bowl. Microwave until ingredients are melted, whisking together to combine.

01D1F5A7-738B-4BFA-A212-48DF3694A002.jpeg

4. Pour mixture over the top of the fillets, making sure the capers are evenly distributed. Cook at 425°F (218°C) for 10 minutes. Cook until fish flakes easily with a fork, or until internal temperature reaches 145°F (62°C).

1229ABD3-7237-41ED-8485-DCB2F7526FFA.jpeg

It’s really hard to beat capers and fish. The first time I ever had capers was in a tartar-ish sauce on salmon steaks my dad had made on the bbq. I was in heaven!

Back
Top Bottom