Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
7:05 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
ert.

bread-pudding-butterscotch-served.jpg

I adapted the recipe below, but halved it. I also made some other significant changes due to 1) this being made for an online competition using burger buns (or as I was allowed, English muffins), and 2) the addition of apple, because I simply felt like it. (I had apples in the house begging for me to use them, please, they pleaded!) And, since there were apples in the mix, I dashed in a bit of nutmeg. You could use instead the same amount of cinnamon or allspice, ,or skip this entirely.

I also used less sugar. 3/4ths a cup rather than a full one.

bread-pudding-butterscotch-two-trays.jpg

UNFORTUNATELY from my standpoint, this bread pudding ended up too sweet (FOR ME, I must note) and I have adaptation suggestions at the end of this. This is indeed far sweeter than any bread pudding I've eaten to date. I mean - it is good, and if you want an all-out dessert, this dish will fill the bill.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding Recipe | Allrecipes - source.

bread-pudding-butterscotch-two-trays-sharp.jpg

NOTE: Since the pans were filled to the top, do add a baking tray underneath. As you can see, there was some syrupy overflow!

Prep Time: 30 minutes.
Cook Time: 1 hour.
Rest Time: Either serve warm, or chill for later.
Serves: 6-8.
Cuisine: Is a Noodle-Scratcher? Dunno, but suspect English.
Leftovers: YES!

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with English Muffin, Apple & Nutmeg

INGREDIENTS:

• Three quality English muffins (about 5.25 ounces), 2 or three days old, and dry to the touch. Open them, and shred or cut them coarsely.
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1/2 apple, cored and de-seeded, and diced. Choose one more on the tart end of the scale (I used a Cortland).
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, allspice, or cinnamon. (I chose nutmeg.)

METHOD:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / 175 degrees C.
Butter or oil a 9x13 inch baking dish, or in this case, a small meatloaf pan sized one, plus a pie dish.

Combine all ingredients into a suitable bowl. Let soak about 15 minutes. Mix by hand. The mixture will look quite a bit liquid.. Pour into greased pan.

Bake for 1 hour, until nearly set. Smaller pans may be ready in 55 minutes. The bread pudding should retain some wiggle, it shouldn't be solid, although a little crisp/crunch is welcome atop. You can serve warm or cold.

Optionally you can top AFTER COOKING with a dollop of whipped cream and/or a sprinkle of ground nutmeg, allspice, or cinnamon. Or, extra slices of apple.

MY NOTES FOR THE FUTURE: This is for someone who, like me, hardly eats sweets at all:
  • Use 1/2 cup brown sugar.
  • Go even tart-er with the apple.
  • Use 1/3 cup butterscotch drops.
I am freezing the rest of this dish in small aliquots. I do enjoy the flavors, and the nutmeg kicked things up a notch for me.

I love bread pudding, and I love butterscotch, and I love sugar, so I think I'll be making this at some point! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom