Recipe Cajun Style Red Beans and Rice

You can buy red beans at Walmart for .78 cents a can or $1.38 a lb for the dried version. Kidney beans are a more common pantry staple and they work just fine for this dish.

What is the difference between red beans and red kidney beans? I thought they were the same thing,

What is the difference between red beans and red kidney beans? I thought they were the same thing,
They are slightly different. Red beans have thinner skin so slightly different texture but not that much difference with the sausage, rice, etc. in the dish. Kidney beans are bigger and have a different shape.

Until I read this article, I thought that red beans were adzuki beans but apparently they are not.

Red Beans vs Kidney Beans: What is the Difference? (Plus Nutrition)

Red beans and kidney beans are not the same. Red beans are smaller, and as I mentioned before, Kidney beans have a tougher skin.

Kidney beans would make a decent substitute for red beans, as would pinto beans, but they aren't the same. As Blades said, red beans would more likely be found in red beans and rice at a restaurant in Louisiana.

CD

Yeah, ditto to the above.
There are huge varieties of beans in the Americas.
Last time I was in Mexico City, I picked up some "Vaqueros" (Cowboy beans). They're red, black and white. There were plenty of beans I'd never seen before.

Back
Top Bottom