Recipe Cajun Style Red Beans and Rice

blades

Local time
5:56 PM
This dish is a staple of New Orleans cuisine and has as many versions as there are kitchens. After looking through the pantry I put together this version which is a satisfying one pot meal. Andouille sausage might be described as a spicy fat hot dog for those unfamiliar with it.

Ingredients
8 oz. andouille sausage
1 green bell pepper chopped
1/2 large onion chopped
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp each oregano and thyme
1/4 tsp each garlic powder, cayenne pepper and black pepper
1 can kidney beans
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups chicken stock
salt to taste
Instructions
Cut the sausage into 1/4" rounds and brown them in a little cooking oil in a tall skillet or stock pot. Remove the sausage and cook the pepper and onion in the same pan until the onion is soft. Add the remaining ingredients and stir them well. Cover the skillet and simmer for 20 minutes. In New Orleans they usually serve the rice and the rest separately with the beans and veggie mixture on a plate and a scoop of rice on top. I like cooking everything together to allow the rice to absorb the other flavors. It may not be traditional but it is my preference. We are having this for dinner this evening with a veggie side and a crisp lager beer. Sante.

Last edited:
This dish is a staple of New Orleans cuisine and has as many versions as there are kitchens. After looking through the pantry I put together this version which is a satisfying one pot meal. Andouille sausage might be described as a spicy fat hot dog for those unfamiliar with it.

Ingredients
8 oz. andouille sausage
1/2 large onion chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 can kidney beans
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups chicken stock
salt to taste
Instructions
Cut the sausage into 1/4" rounds and brown them in a little cooking oil in a tall skillet or stock pot. Remove the sausage and cook the pepper and onion in the same pan until the onion is soft. Add the remaining ingredients and stir them well. Cover the skillet and simmer for 20 minutes. In New Orleans they usually serve the rice and the rest separately with the beans and rice mixture on a plate and a scoop of rice on top. I like cooking everything together to allow the rice to absorb the other flavors. It may not be traditional but it is my preference. We are having this for dinner this evening with a veggie side and a crisp lager beer. Sante.
Do you have a pic of it? :whistling:

Ingredients
8 oz. andouille sausage
1/2 large onion chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 can kidney beans
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups chicken stock
salt to taste
Instructions
Cut the sausage into 1/4" rounds and brown them in a little cooking oil in a tall skillet or stock pot. Remove the sausage and cook the pepper and onion in the same pan until the onion is soft. Add the remaining ingredients and stir them well. Cover the skillet and simmer for 20 minutes. In New Orleans they usually serve the rice and the rest separately with the beans and rice mixture on a plate and a scoop of rice on top. I like cooking everything together to allow the rice to absorb the other flavors. It may not be traditional but it is my preference. We are having this for dinner this evening with a veggie side and a crisp lager beer. Sante.
I love red beans and rice! I grew up in a small resort town in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico about 4 hours from New Orleans and also had a Cajun uncle in SE Texas (he married my mom's little sister) so I have eaten lots of that stuff. I love andouille sausage! I typically make my RB&R with red or yellow bell peppers (for some reason I just don't like green bell peppers) and sometimes throw a jalapeno or other hot pepper in place of using cayenne pepper. I also like to add some smashed roasted garlic to mine instead of the powder. Your recipe looks good, though!

We use the trinity plus garlic. We also use ham hocks or smoked pork chops plus the andouille. Sorry, but I wouldn't describe andouille as a spicy hot dog, it's so much more.

I'm not sure only 2 cups of liquid plus what little is in the beans is going to be enough liquid though, as red beans are usually a tiny bit soupy in NOLA and 2 cups of liquid to 1 cup of rice is what you would normally use for a recipe of rice alone.

We use cayenne and Crystal (hot sauce).

My husband spent a lot of downtime in NOLA when he worked in saturation diving on the oil rigs in the Gulf. He loved the Cajun and Creole food, the music too. Our daughter went to college in NOLA and then lived there for several years, getting married to a native and having our first DGD there.

We make our own andouille and tasso, and get a big sack of crawfish at least once a year for a boil, and leftovers to freeze for etouffe. We love making grilled oysters French Market style. I need to make Recipe - Bayoubaisse again.

We make our own andouille and tasso, and get a big sack of crawfish at least once a year for a boil, and leftovers to freeze for etouffe. We love making grilled oysters French Market style. I need to make Recipe - Bayoubaisse again.
Acme Oyster House is pretty good, too.
We use the trinity plus garlic. We also use ham hocks or smoked pork chops plus the andouille. Sorry, but I wouldn't describe andouille as a spicy hot dog, it's so much more.

I'm not sure only 2 cups of liquid plus what little is in the beans is going to be enough liquid though, as red beans are usually a tiny bit soupy in NOLA and 2 cups of liquid to 1 cup of rice is what you would normally use for a recipe of rice alone.
I honestly never measure so I've no idea how much liquid I use when I make it. I just add it till it seems right.

I love red beans and rice! I grew up in a small resort town in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico about 4 hours from New Orleans and also had a Cajun uncle in SE Texas (he married my mom's little sister) so I have eaten lots of that stuff. I love andouille sausage! I typically make my RB&R with red or yellow bell peppers (for some reason I just don't like green bell peppers) and sometimes throw a jalapeno or other hot pepper in place of using cayenne pepper. I also like to add some smashed roasted garlic to mine instead of the powder. Your recipe looks good, though!
Thanks. It tastes good too. The good thing about cooking is that modification is easy and important. We always want our recipes to reflect our preferences

My husband spent a lot of downtime in NOLA when he worked in saturation diving on the oil rigs in the Gulf. He loved the Cajun and Creole food, the music too. Our daughter went to college in NOLA and then lived there for several years, getting married to a native and having our first DGD there.
When living in Destin, I went to NOLA about 5-7x a year for a little more than a decade. Not as much as y'all but a fair bit. Jazz Fest and French Quarter fest was a must, plus all the concerts at the Superdome.

We use cayenne and Crystal (hot sauce).

Nothing to fear. I didn't used dried red beans. I used canned kidney beans. It is what I had in the pantry. I usually use cayenne as the recipe indicates but to today I used some Frank's.

Nothing to fear. I didn't used dried red beans. I used canned kidney beans. It is what I had in the pantry. I usually use cayenne as the recipe indicates but to today I used some Frank's.

I realize you used canned beans and as I wrote

I realize you used canned beans and as I wrote

2 cups of stock works very nicely. We also have moisture from the onion and bell pepper. I also emptied the bean can completely, liquid and all. If I were making a mixture that I intended as a topping to rice I would probably hydrate it a little more. This is a one pot dish, unlike what you would likely get in a Louisiana restaurant. It is not intended to be authentic. It is my version. I like it. Adapt it to your preference if you want to make a batch.

I can get canned red beans here. Are they not available up North? Not every store has them here. Kroger does under their own brand. Kidney beans are not the same thing, but I guess they would do in a pinch. I think of Kidney beans as having a pretty thick skin. I don't remember for sure, as I haven't eaten any in many years.

I also use the trinity, and the pope (crushed garlic).

I put a scoop of rice on top.

1690547117862.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
I can get canned red beans here. Are they not available up North? Not every store has them here. Kroger does under their own brand. Kidney beans are not the same thing, but I guess they would do in a pinch. I think of Kidney beans as having a pretty thick skin. I don't remember for sure, as I haven't eaten any in many years.

I also use the trinity, and the pope (crushed garlic).

I put a scoop of rice on top.

View attachment 102939

CD
That is more what you would get in a Louisiana restaurant than my one pot version.

You can buy red beans at Walmart for .78 cents a can or $1.38 a lb for the dried version. Kidney beans are a more common pantry staple and they work just fine for this dish.

Back
Top Bottom