Can you really eat raw eggs?

zandi

Veteran
Local time
11:38 PM
I have seem people eat raw eggs on fitness shows? At the same time, I have read this is dangerous? i am wondering what is true? Is it really okay to eat a raw egg? I do not ever eat or ever let my kids lick the bowl from a dish that is prepared with raw eggs. Am I being too paranoid, or am I following the golden rule of thumb about steering clear of raw eggs?

Remember the first Rocky film? Sylvester Stallone had cracked five eggs into a glass and then drank them down!
I licked the bowl And beater all the time when I make cake batter. Nothing to worry about, I don't think. :dance:

Remember the first Rocky film? Sylvester Stallone had cracked five eggs into a glass and then drank them down!
I licked the bowl And beater all the time when I make cake batter. Nothing to worry about, I don't think. :dance:

Oh, are kidding with me or are you serious? I mean, you can not always believe what you see on TV. Although, I love Rocky. I mean, after all, I did marry an Italian. lol I still do not think, I could lick the bowl, though! Am I missing out on some good stuff? Well, you know this might be why some of my food does not turn out so great. i need to taste more, while I am preparing! Oh dear!

There are many misconceptions about the good and bad thing about eating eggs in its raw form. Some said that we should not worry eating raw egg since they are already pasteurized before it is being sold in the commercial market. And one thing they said that raw egg white is an excellent source of protein that our bodies need. While others say it is bad because of the effect brought by Salmonella bacteria. So it maybe yes or no depending on the beliefs and views by each and one of us. But for me I rather eat an egg either hard boiled, half cooked or scrambled. Eating raw egg i have not yet try and I do not know if one day I will try doing it.

If you wish to drink a raw egg crack on,the only health risk could be salmonella ,but with the controls within chickens and egg production this has been stamped out,if any egg is not completely set if salmonella is present it can be passed on,so most of could be liable to salmonella any way,the risk is 1 in every 30000 at the highest

Am I being too paranoid, or am I following the golden rule of thumb about steering clear of raw eggs?
How often do you get into a car as a passenger and put your life in the hands of another person?
Now how often do you do the same with someone you don't know or only know very slightly?
Well every time you get in to a car as a passenger or driver you are putting your life in someone's hands. Yet I bet you probably do this several times a day and never give a thought about it or the standard of their driving or the number of deaths on the roads every single day?
  1. In the UK 3 or 4 people are killed every day in road accidents.
  2. For 2013, 90 people a day were killed in the USA in road accidents (sorry I have lifted that figure from wiki I am assuming it is accurate).

How many died from eating raw eggs?
Strangely I found it somewhat difficult tracking this number down. I did look at the figures for salmonella outbreaks, and only 3 were linked with poultry in any manner.
http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/outbreaks.html
  1. Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Infections Linked to Live Poultry (Final Update) As far as I can see this is a mail order hatchery (shipping of live chicks and ducklings) not eggs, but of the 103 cases there were no fatalities so there is probably no need to look any further.
  2. Multistate Outbreak of Human Salmonella Typhimurium Infections Linked to Live Poultry in Backyard Flocks (Final Update) 365 cases, no deaths, again purchasing of live chicks or ducklings (95% of ill persons reported purchasing live poultry from agricultural feed stores).
  3. Multistate Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Heidelberg Infections Linked to Foster Farms Brand Chicken (Final Update) 634 cases, no deaths, something to do with consumption of chicken and chicken products (not eggs) supplied in their raw form from Fosters Farms, and went through into 2014 for figures as well.

As far as I can see there were no deaths from salmonella caused by eating raw eggs in the USA unless I go back to this document (http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/Eggs/ucm170615.htm) which indicates that there were 30 such deaths potentially sometime prior to 2010.

So as far as I can see, it is safer eating raw eggs than getting into a vehicle in the USA.

Do you understand what I am trying to say?

Now if you were to ask me this question for somewhere like India or Tajikistan (a country I almost visited a couple of years back when I almost cycled the Pamir Highway), then I would probably prefer to get in a vehicle then risk a raw egg tbh!

yes,information about eating raw eggs is very predictable somewhere as considered benefited used as treatment in some kind of illness,..

As above is there any chance of disease from raw egg - of course, just as there is from EVERY other food and shaking hands with someone, and putting on your socks [check out the injuries list in hospitals] and walking down a street full of people. The is endless. On the other hand does a slimy gloopy yellow drink really appeal to you ? Each to their own on that one.

not really exactly,honestly you cannot really appeal the texture and taste but in some cases,raw eggs is mixed with some flavored drinks so that the taste will be change and you can feel it good to drink as a medicine in some ways.infact mostly young children are commonly experience to try this,as their substitute for medicine inhere,..

I am afraid to try this one. I do read some articles that relates eating raw eggs to poisoning. I do not knkw if they are true but I really do not want to try this one. However I also read that some singers do eat raw eggs to relax their throat.

Oh, are kidding with me or are you serious? I mean, you can not always believe what you see on TV. Although, I love Rocky. I mean, after all, I did marry an Italian. lol I still do not think, I could lick the bowl, though! Am I missing out on some good stuff? Well, you know this might be why some of my food does not turn out so great. i need to taste more, while I am preparing! Oh dear!

Seriously?

Never once did I say that I believed what I saw him do in the movie. How often is it that you make cake batter? Every minute? Or is it every second? If you don't want to lick the bowl afterwards, then that is YOUR decision. :o_o:

I would not eat a raw egg on its own, but when I was a child, my grandmother used to beat up raw egg in orange juice and give it to me and my siblings to drink. We used to drink this first thing in the morning. To me it tasted okay and I believe it had some health benefits. We also used to lick the remnants in the bowl after batter was mixed for baking cake. All of this never did us any harm, so I do not believe there is anything wrong with eating egg raw.

When I was a kid my mom used to beat an egg yolk with white sugar and cocoa powder, and give it to me to eat with a spoon as a sweet treat. That was probably the main homemade dessert I had while growing up.

Just because I like to lick the beater & bowl after making cake batter? I don't eat or drink raw eggs, especially not like Sylvester Stallone did in Rocky. That could be dangerous.

I think that you'd have to be licking the bowl every minute of the hour, every day in order to get any bacteria from raw eggs.
How often do I make cake batter? At least once a month. I've been licking the bowl and beater since I was a kid!

And next week, I'm making two 7up Cakes & four sweet potato pies for our big annual family dinner, and if there is any batter or filling left in the bowl, I will be licking it out then as well. Where is it written that it is against the law to do that?

I'm a kid at heart. This is something that I've always enjoyed, never outgrew, & probably never will! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom