Can you really eat raw eggs?

I don't mind my yolks somewhat runny, but I don't think I could stomach eating raw eggs in food or a drink. That being said, I'm entirely comfortable eating raw cake and brownie batter, probably because I can't see the raw eggs.

I don't mind my yolks somewhat runny, but I don't think I could stomach eating raw eggs in food or a drink. That being said, I'm entirely comfortable eating raw cake and brownie batter, probably because I can't see the raw eggs.

What's more, we were encouraged to 'lick the bowl' in which Mum made the cake mixture! Also as @Shermie pointed out, mayonnaise has raw egg yolk in it and I would bet all those people who say they wouldn't eat raw egg, love mayo!

This reminds me of my younger years when there was this commercial called - Sarsi with egg. Sarsi is the olden Cosmos Sarsaparilla which is a root beer. The commercial shows a muscled man putting a raw egg on his glass of Sarsi and drinking it bottoms up. His dialogue was about the Sarsi with egg would give him the strength that is evident in his muscles. What's funny is that I would see my older brothers buying that root beer and putting a raw egg. They would drink it and would say... yuck.

Raw eggs are useful for quite a number of illnesses. I often mix up raw eggs, lemon juice and honey then give it to my kids to sooth their cough. It works well as they get to sleep more soundly after that. I have taken raw eggs often too, mainly to relieve a sore throat and never had any misgivings of it.

I tried taking a few raw eggs before, I do not like the taste and that slimy feel on my throat. Good thing I did not get sick but that was it I just did it out of curiosity. I guess the media had been powerful enough to influence me. I am still afraid of Salmonella and looking back, I would not do it again.

I can remember when I was younger, seeing on television people drinking raw eggs in various concoctions. It seems to be only in the recent past that raw eggs have been demonized, but the same has also happened with other foods, such as butter and whole milk.

@morning glory Oh yes, we used to fight over who got to lick the bowl. There were 3 of us, and we'd split the beaters and spoon used to mix whatever product was being made, and then fight over the bowl. The raw eggs in the mixture never harmed us in the slightest. I've never made mayonnaise. I knew there were eggs in it, but it never occurred to me that they were raw. I have heard it can make people sick if it's been sitting out too long, but then I've also heard that there is something in store bought mayonnaise that would prevent that from happening.

Remember the first Rocky film? Sylvester Stallone had cracked five eggs into a glass and then drank them down!
I licked the bowl And beater all the time when I make cake batter. Nothing to worry about, I don't think.
:dance:
yeah I was thinking of the Rocky movie too. I think the fear is salmonella in the raw eggs. I know they tell you not to eat raw cake batter or cookie batter, but I have done that all my life, and so did my son. I haven't known or heard of anyone getting sick from doing this, so why not? We are so cautious in this world, that we take the fun out of everything it seems!

I can stomach eating balut, so why not raw eggs? Lol. Though I haven't really tried it yet. I think something in raw egg screams disgusting and not delicious! I do know some few bodybuilder friends who eat raw eggs. They said it does help in building muscle mass. Maybe one of these days I can try it. Just, salmonella can be really dangerous and you might get it from raw eggs. I remember when I was pregnant, sushi was a major no then because it was raw. Anything raw can be dangerous except with fruits and vegetables of course.

In Japan it's actually pretty common to see people eating raw eggs. It's even popular at Japanese fast food type chains to see people order a raw egg to go over their Gyudon bowls (beef, onion and rice) - they just mix it all around and eat it!

Not my cup of tea, but it seems very culturally acceptable here.

No! you guys please don't eat raw eggs it could actually kill you. Salmonella is no laughing matter. Along with raw eggs don't eat green potatoes, live octopus and other foods that are supposedly making you stronger. It's just a very bad, very risky idea.

No! you guys please don't eat raw eggs it could actually kill you. Salmonella is no laughing matter. Along with raw eggs don't eat green potatoes, live octopus and other foods that are supposedly making you stronger. It's just a very bad, very risky idea.
Reheating rice causes more cases of food poisoning in the UK every year than under cooked egg products ,fact ! You are just at risk from under cooked egg say a quiche than eating a raw egg ,high risk groups of people should avoid under cooked or raw eggs ,I think a figure of 1 in 10,000 eggs could contain salmonella ,there again there are bugs that hang on to salad leaves ,bean sprouts,celery that cause a strain of salmonella,that cause more cases,in conclusion if you are high risk group,consider the risks of many foods ,

Crossing the road or getting into a car can also kill you. There are plenty of checks and regulations in place in the western world for raw eggs to be a very low risk. I would not day that is the case outside of the 'western world' or 'first world countries' but here there are that many H&S regulations in place that the risk of salmonella from eggs is considerably lower than getting it from bad handling of raw chicken!

Reading some very boring stats, somewhere between 350-450 die each year from salmonella poisoning in the USA. Of those roughly 11 were directly attributed to undercooked eggs, not raw but undercooked eggs.

More people are killed in road accidents every day in the USA than those killed every year from eating raw or undercooked eggs! (92 people were killed every day in road accidents in 2012.)

It is about risk assessment and then applying common sense to the matter. I would rather eat a raw egg than get in a car with a complete stranger driving!

I go by the golden rule. If I know the eggs are fresh from the farm, yes absolutely save to eat or drink raw eggs. I buy my eggs directly from the farm where the chickens run around and eat good healthy food. If I buy eggs from the supermarket, I only eat them cooked. I had 3 egg poisoning in the past because I was not careful enough. Here in Australia the eggs are save but I got sick every time from supermarket eggs and they where not refrigerated either.

I really can and i eat them because they are organic and checked on salmonella. Usually it is after my workout i eat them. Putting them in my blender with milk and some strawberries is simply wonderful. With some honey and cinnamon you can get quite a nice drink. Even if i do not blend them i can eat raw eggs. Less preferable way, i agree but more nutrition then when boiled, fried or baked. I certain bird has those small freckled eggs that are treated as a cure here in my country. I believe it is quail. It is said to be good for general health and immune system.

The only "odd advice" ever given about eating raw eggs, came from a farmining relative.
That being don't eat a warm(newly laid) egg.

He died in his mid 90's, after a lifetime spent on the farm.

Back
Top Bottom