Can you really eat raw eggs?

I would never eat raw eggs and I really don't see why people think it would be a good idea. Yes, Rocky did it, but it's still a movie. Boiled/fried/whatever is a million times better (and more delicious), in my opinion. But raw? Nah.

Just a thought - what is the actual reason for eating them raw anyhow ?:scratchhead:
Someone on a raw food diet would ask what is the point in coming all food even food that does not need to be cooked.
Some nutrients and minerals are more accessible to the body when the food is raw. Other food need coming to allow the body to be able to digest and absorb the nutrients and minerals.
Then there are the ones that fall into the can be either or category and what you can digest from them depends on their state. Eggs are one of these. They don't need to be cooked to be digestible, but some prefer to have them cooked.
Cooking is something out bodies have evolved to handle.
There is technically nothing wrong with eating raw meat or fish. Just think of jerky and sushi before you think yuck!

Someone on a raw food diet would ask what is the point in coming all food even food that does not need to be cooked.
Some nutrients and minerals are more accessible to the body when the food is raw. Other food need coming to allow the body to be able to digest and absorb the nutrients and minerals.
Then there are the ones that fall into the can be either or category and what you can digest from them depends on their state. Eggs are one of these. They don't need to be cooked to be digestible, but some prefer to have them cooked.
There is technically nothing wrong with eating raw meat or fish. Just think of jerky and sushi before you think yuck!

I've never directly eaten or drank raw eggs.
When I cook or order fried eggs at a restaurant, I always ask for them with the yolks broken and cooked solid. I don't like runny yolks! I boil the eggs hard. :headshake:

If you wish to drink a raw egg crack on

Love it!

Seriously though, there's very little risk in consuming raw eggs. Obviously, the young, pregnant and elderly are usually advised to avoid this risk but on the whole, we seem to be a universe of bowl-lickers and nobody appears to have come to any harm (other than an upset tummy, maybe!).

I do have a question though. Pardon my ignorance, but is the salmonella located inside the actual egg itself or is it something that lives on the shell?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never directly eaten or drank raw eggs.
When I cook or order fried eggs at a restaurant, I always ask for them with the yolks broken and cooked solid. I don't like runny yolks! I boil the eggs hard. :headshake:
There is nothing nicer than a runny egg to dip a soldier or chip into! That is something you just can't do with a sold yolk! I don't understand the issue.
The French will eat meat practically raw (rare, medium rare, or bloody etc), the Japanese eat raw fish and so do much of the world now, Caviar is raw fish eggs, they are not cooked, and as mentioned people often lick bowls out...

Lunch today will be another runny egg on a piece of homemade bread. The eggs are duck's eggs and they are my neighbours ducks.

I do have a question though. Pardon my ignorance, but is the salmonella located inside the actual egg itself or is it something that lives on the shell?
Salmonella is usually found in the bird itself. Because of the physiology of the bird, ie the way a bird lays an egg, salmonella from its gut can be present on the egg shell itself. If it is, then because the egg shell is permeable, the bacteria can travel through the shell and into what is essentially an ideal habitat for them to grow... It is one of the reasons eggs should be washed as soon as they are collected, but also keeping the poultry free of salmonella in the first place is essential, hence why battery farmed eggs, barn farmed eggs etc are all at high risk of salmonella (the amount of poultry droppings around is much higher in concentration).

Love it!

Seriously though, there's very little risk in consuming raw eggs. Obviously, the young, pregnant and elderly are usually advised to avoid this risk but on the whole, we seem to be a universe of bowl-lickers and nobody appears to have come to any harm (other than an upset tummy, maybe!).

Have a quick lol at this link
http://www.safeeggs.com/eggs/salmonella-eggs
My out look is different from most as I am in the food industry and I have to look at the risks accordingly ,some establishments use pasteurized eggs for every under cooked or egg dish

There is nothing nicer than a runny egg to dip a soldier or chip into! That is something you just can't do with a sold yolk! I don't understand the issue.
The French will eat meat practically raw (rare, medium rare, or bloody etc), the Japanese eat raw fish and so do much of the world now, Caviar is raw fish eggs, they are not cooked, and as mentioned people often lick bowls out...

Lunch today will be another runny egg on a piece of homemade bread. The eggs are duck's eggs and they are my neighbours ducks.

Salmonella is usually found in the bird itself. Because of the physiology of the bird, ie the way a bird lays an egg, salmonella from its gut can be present on the egg shell itself. If it is, then because the egg shell is permeable, the bacteria can travel through the shell and into what is essentially an ideal habitat for them to grow... It is one of the reasons eggs should be washed as soon as they are collected, but also keeping the poultry free of salmonella in the first place is essential, hence why battery farmed eggs, barn farmed eggs etc are all at high risk of salmonella (the amount of poultry droppings around is much higher in concentration).

I just had two fried eggs on top of what was left of the Cowboy Hash. And the yolks were broken & soft-cooked. :wink:

I do not question that some foods are ok raw [I actually like jerky - but that is dried anyhow, not really raw]. However I do suspect that eggs as we are refering to them here are usually consumed raw more for show than any real need or logical reason.

Cooking any ingredients makes ithem more palatable and safe for humans to consume ,it's a standard question in a city and guilds catering exam yes you can eat food raw.many examples that have been given ,I watched a Louis Theroux programme on diets the chap just killed a lamb and would eat it all ,eyes the blood raw,his health screens were all ok,
The egg situation has always been exaggerated in the UK since Edwina currie ,it's never truly been corrected,as I've said before there are risks evolved but,if you are aware of how to treat the egg with love and care,than you will be ok
image.jpg

About three weeks ago one of my customers came excited to let me know she had reached her 70th birthday. She was just so excited and just really wanted to chat. She once owned a restaurant of sorts and loves to talk food.

She was so thrilled to tell me about all the raw eggs she used to cracked at the top and gulp down as a child. She shared that story to support her aging so well. Had I known 30 years ago I might have attempted this.

People do it all the time although in my view, eating raw eggs is plain gross. It is rumored that raw eggs help wade off viral infections such as the flu, so you might find people eating them a lot during the cold season.

Yes, you can eat raw eggs. In fact, there's plenty of recipes that call for raw eggs on rice in Japanese culture - and they're healthier than I'll ever be! I've been experimenting with some of their dishes, and I have to say - even if it looks weird, you technically could eat them in all safeness (now, even after reading SatNav's post) I feel even more safe to do so. (I'm not getting in a car anytime soon though after that... :oops: hehejk)

Like others said, do you want to imbibe a slimy beverage? If no, then find recipes that include raw eggs and try them out. You'd be shocked how tasty they actually are!

Well since I came upon my two yolk egg, I have been paying my eggs more than the usual attention. Still checking for the 'next one' I know it's going to be a little tough for me to eat a raw egg. Still based on everything that I am reading it seems to be quite okay to have some raw eggs here and there. This is my latest bit of reading that I found interesting.

http://empoweredsustenance.com/raw-eggs-safe/

Back
Top Bottom