Recipe Caprese Relish

CraigC

Guru
Local time
3:23 PM
I was watching a Bobby Flay show and saw him make this relish. He was grilling Italian sausages for sandwiches and the relish was to go on them. I've used the relish for my own version of sausage sandwiches, but like it on its own or for a quick pasta dish.

Ingredients

1 pint yellow and/or red cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 pint bocconcini, or 1 pound fresh mozzarella cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions
Toss the tomatoes with the bocconcini, basil, capers, onions, olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.

I can see how versatile this recipe could be: it's basically a caprese salad that's been cut into smaller chunks, which is a terrific idea.

1 pint bocconcini, or 1 pound fresh mozzarella cut into 1/2-inch dice
The worst thing about this is having to cut through all that soft cheese. Do you partly freeze it first, or do you work with a wet knife? I ask because, whenever I have something involving a soft cheese, I think for a moment about doing things like this, and then I get impatient to start my prep work, so I just fight my way through, unsticking the cheese and cleaning off the knife as I go. I'm always looking for a better way.

Do you partly freeze it first, or do you work with a wet knife? I ask because, whenever I have something involving a soft cheese, I think for a moment about doing things like this, and then I get impatient to start my prep work, so I just fight my way through, unsticking the cheese and cleaning off the knife as I go.

I use scissors to cut mozzarella which seems to work quite well.

I can see how versatile this recipe could be: it's basically a caprese salad that's been cut into smaller chunks, which is a terrific idea.

The worst thing about this is having to cut through all that soft cheese. Do you partly freeze it first, or do you work with a wet knife? I ask because, whenever I have something involving a soft cheese, I think for a moment about doing things like this, and then I get impatient to start my prep work, so I just fight my way through, unsticking the cheese and cleaning off the knife as I go. I'm always looking for a better way.

I always buy the bocconcini or pearl mozzarella. I do put mozzarella in the freezer before slicing or grating. Sometimes I use a knife for slicing or the cheese cutter.

I've never seen some of the ingredients in a Caprese salad, like the onions and capers.

Back
Top Bottom