Caregivers’ chat

Yes, and sometimes that generation doesn't like water (well even some of the younger generations don't like water--I don't get it!). My mother loved Dr. Pepper and iced tea, but wouldn't drink much water, and of course the caffeine wasn't ideal for hydration, and bacteria loves sugar (bad idea to drink that sweetened commercial cranberry juice with a UTI). In hindsight I should have gotten her a Brita filter or maybe an over the sink filter to make her water taste better (it was very chlorinated city water) or got her some of those sugar free flavor drops to put in water to make it more appealing. I just didn't know because I lived 1,000 miles away from her and only saw her a couple of times a year briefly.

Edited to add: my step-kids other grandma (their mom's mom) had a UTI and no one knew, and she thought that the CIA was spying on her--cars would drive past her house and she was certain that they were videotaping her. After a few days she actually got in her car and was chasing some car (according to the neighbors), speeding down the road, and she then drove to her daughter's house in a panic and told some wild tale that made no sense. My husband's ex took her to the doctor and sure enough, UTI. She was back home within a few days and had no idea what had happened. That was about 10 years ago. She actually lives with her daughter now and has mild cognitive decline, but she isn't seeing CIA agents anymore.
It is quite hard to believe unless you’ve seen it, it’s a total disconnect from reality.
What I always found interesting is different peoples go to version of bonkers. Paranoia is common but I had one woman who couldn’t stop seeing toast and marmalade all over the place.
I hope mines something nice like chocolate cake or other food related item 😆

I drink a lot more water now than I used but I used to drink none so it’s still not a lot. Tea on the other hand I drink all day, decaf though to avoid the diuretic effect.. and caffeine addiction which I once had a nasty run in with about 10 years ago when I suddenly stopped drinking coffee 🤕 🔨

Last edited:
I had one woman who couldn’t stop seeing toast and marmalade all over the place.
When my MIL had her break (malnutrition/dehydration), she called and then sort of tentatively asked, “Your father is dead, right? Didn’t he die?”

“Yes, Mom, last year.”

“Well, um…can you tell him, because he’s talking to me and I told him to leave and he won’t leave.”

What it was were the photos she had of him moving and talking to her.

When my MIL had her break (malnutrition/dehydration), she called and then sort of tentatively asked, “Your father is dead, right? Didn’t he die?”

“Yes, Mom, last year.”

“Well, um…can you tell him, because he’s talking to me and I told him to leave and he won’t leave.”

What it was were the photos she had of him moving and talking to her.
Blimey that would freak you out wouldn’t it!

I spoke with my Mother today on the telephone and she's still not doing well; I finally got her convinced that she needs to see someone.
DH, who is so much better in dealing with her, is coming with me tomorrow and he'll convince her to go to ER.
I know that malnutrition and dehydration is a huge factor with Mom because of her skin tone and texture.
Funny, when she lived with us, there were no issues.
DH is pushing for assisted living for her at this point, but I'm not sure that she would qualify yet.
Let's see how this all plays out.

That’s definitely my mom, she drinks zero water in its natural state and actually gets agitated when anyone suggests she should.
I never drink water. But wine is around 85% water and I drink plenty of that. :D

I have a cup of tea in the morning too and that's mostly water.

I never drink water. But wine is around 85% water and I drink plenty of that. :D

I have a cup of tea in the morning too and that's mostly water.
My mom drinks coffee in the morning and cola the rest of the day. If you say, “Mom, you should drink more water, just regular water,” she gets a very pissy look on her face and says, “I’m not drinkin’ that! It’s…disgustin’!” :laugh:

My mom drinks coffee in the morning and cola the rest of the day. If you say, “Mom, you should drink more water, just regular water,” she gets a very pissy look on her face and says, “I’m not drinkin’ that! It’s…disgustin’!” :laugh:

Does it really matter if its plain water or not? I know cola has a lot of sugar so its not good if she is drinking lots of it but I suppose the question is, why plain water? Tea, for example, is really simply flavoured water so (particularly if its decaffeinated), what can possibly be wrong with drinking loads of tea instead?

Does it really matter if its plain water or not? I know cola has a lot of sugar so its not good if she is drinking lots of it but I suppose the question is, why plain water? Tea, for example, is really simply flavoured water so (particularly if its decaffeinated), what can possibly be wrong with drinking loads of tea instead?
The caffeine is the issue indeed, but if you're drinking decaf or herbal, no problem. Caffeine is a diuretic and can dehydrate. I do love my coffee and tea (and wine and sprits) but I limit myself and drink loads of water to flush toxins at other tines.

On the other hand your body could also work on the constant "effects". First some caffeine to wake up, than some fast sugar for energy/motivation, spicy food for some passionate time and then counter it with bitters, or herbs like mint or camomile to calm down.

Back
Top Bottom