Caregivers’ chat

How’s your mom doing?
DH gave Mom "options" as to how we were going to address this issue of her falling ...
We got an appointment with her PCP
(I really dislike this term, but it is what it is - this is a gal who is a Nurse Practitioner and not a Doctor, but here in Cowboyville, ya gotta takes whats you're given)
yesterday and it seems as though it's just bad bruising and she'll need Physical Therapy.
The Senior Living Community she's in just recently contracted with a small local PT/OT Group, but I found out late this afternoon, they are "out-of-network", so...
We have to decided what to do at this point ...
The super point about using this small PT group is they will come to her apartment to conduct the therapy sessions at no additional cost, so ... Is this worth an extra $50 out of pocket/session?
I'm waiting to hear back how many sessions she'll need per week and for how long.

it seems as though it's just bad bruising and she'll need Physical Therapy
That’s good news in a way - it could have been much worse. Thanks for the update!

I hope she’s back right as rain soon. As to the therapy, maybe she won’t need too many sessions and she can have those done in-house. I know the feeling with the out-of-network crap - I’m researching a medical procedure now, and there are several places nearby I could get it done, but they’re all out-of-network.

I could have it done in-network and mostly paid for, but the closest in-network practitioner is nearly two hours away. So…do I pay $150 out of my own pocket and save a four-hour round trip, or pay $30 and waste most of a day getting it done?

Keep us posted on your mom, please!

DH gave Mom "options" as to how we were going to address this issue of her falling ...
We got an appointment with her PCP
(I really dislike this term, but it is what it is - this is a gal who is a Nurse Practitioner and not a Doctor, but here in Cowboyville, ya gotta takes whats you're given)
yesterday and it seems as though it's just bad bruising and she'll need Physical Therapy.
The Senior Living Community she's in just recently contracted with a small local PT/OT Group, but I found out late this afternoon, they are "out-of-network", so...
We have to decided what to do at this point ...
The super point about using this small PT group is they will come to her apartment to conduct the therapy sessions at no additional cost, so ... Is this worth an extra $50 out of pocket/session?
I'm waiting to hear back how many sessions she'll need per week and for how long.

My experiences with Nurse Practitioners have actually been quite good. Most PCPs with MD status in the US these days come from medical schools in third-world countries, because insurance companies (HMOs) don't pay PCPs very well. At least the Nurse Practitioners I've dealt with went to good schools... and can pronounce my name. After years, my PCP still addresses me as Mr (first name), instead of learning how to pronounce my last name. I can pronounce her Indian name.

CD

That’s good news in a way - it could have been much worse. Thanks for the update!

I hope she’s back right as rain soon. As to the therapy, maybe she won’t need too many sessions and she can have those done in-house. I know the feeling with the out-of-network crap - I’m researching a medical procedure now, and there are several places nearby I could get it done, but they’re all out-of-network.

I could have it done in-network and mostly paid for, but the closest in-network practitioner is nearly two hours away. So…do I pay $150 out of my own pocket and save a four-hour round trip, or pay $30 and waste most of a day getting it done?

Keep us posted on your mom, please!

I'd want a doctor nearby just so they are close if there are any complications.

CD

Update on my parents:

Well, with my dad, it’s gone from bad to worse. He gets up of a night at the care home and wanders a bit, nothing can really be done to stop that except chaining him down, and a few nights ago, he fell trying to get out of bed and broke his hip.

He broke his other hip about 18 months ago, and that’s what precipitated him moving into care, along with his dementia, which is now classed by his doctor as severe.

He’s already had surgery, but is still on the mend, obviously, and in a lot of pain. They can’t give him enough pain medication to really help because of the danger it’ll kill him, so they’re managing it as best they can.

We’ll see how it progresses, but right now, the care home is reporting that he’s eating about 25% of what he normally was, which wasn’t much to begin with, so just in the last few days, he’s lost some weight.

Mom deserves her own update…to be continued.

Update on my mom:

I called her yesterday. The last couple of times I’ve called, she’s sounded listless and tired, even somewhat slurred in speech, but yesterday, she was very alert and snappy with all her responses.

Didn’t matter, though. A lot of what she said was worrying. For example:

“What’d you do today, Mom?”

“Well, nothin’, near as I can tell. No one even came out t’day to take me to see your dad. I’ve a mind to jus’ drive myself over there.”

“Don’t do that, I’ll talk to the others and get someone to take you tomorrow. When’s the last time you talked to Roy?”

“T’day. He came out and took me to lunch.”

“Why didn’t you ask him to see Dad?”

“He offered, but I didn’t want to go.”

🤦🏻‍♂️

All in the same conversation, she said no one had come to see her, my brother Roy came and took her to lunch, no one offered to drive her out to see Dad, and Roy offered and she said no. 🫤

Everything we talked about, that’s how it went - contradiction after contradiction.

She was pretty sharpish, too, making snide remarks about her different kids, like:

“Didn’t Tammy see you today? I know she comes by almost every day.”

“No. She chose to take Deenie out to see Dad. That’s who she chose to take. Not me.”

Deenie is my dad’s 89yo sister. And:

“Have you talked to Paul lately?”

“Yes. He comes out reg’lar and brings me all kinds of things from the store. Li’l desserts and microwave things, things like that. Of course, he don’t wanna take me nowhere. It interferes with his ‘big plans.’”

I have no idea what she meant by “big plans.” 🤷🏻

“Well, it’s nice of him to make sure you’ve got some good things there to eat.”

“Yep…as long as he don’t havta bother with me.”

Everything with her has a downside, and that’s all she ever sees. She’s always been that way, extremely negative.

Remember I mentioned her delusion about going to “my other house” to check on things? She told me about that.

It came about because she told me she’s stopped driving, which we both agreed was a good thing. She said that after she went and “spent the night” at her “other house,” and had such a hard time getting back, everyone thought it was best she didn’t drive.

I said, “What other house do you mean?”

“I don’t know, but it’s exactly like this one here, and it’s in a town exactly like this one here, and I even have a dog there exactly like Junior here.”

She said all of this matter-of-factly, and in a tone like, “Beats me, but there you have it.”

Also, the story has changed since she first told my brother about it. It changed from “stopping by to check on things” to “spent the night,” and the whole thing about it being exactly like her current house/town, complete with a doppelgänger dog, is new.

But wait, it gets worse.

She asked how we were doing, and I mentioned that we’d gone up to Amish country for an overnight, did a little food shopping, gotten Dad his raisin fry pie, etc.

“That’s nice. I like them Amish. You know, your grandmom was Mennonite. You know that.”

“Yep, sure do.”

“You know…now that I think on it…that other house of mine is an Amish house. It’s a cute little Amish house, but just like this one I’m in here, too. That’s right…it’s in Amish country.”

🫤

The last thing she said was really sad. She said she’d been to the doctor, and the doctor had no explanation for her confusion and forgetfulness.

“She said I’m a real one-of-a-kind case, somethin’ she’s never seen before.”

“Well, you’re getting older and that can lead to forgetful-“

“That ain’t it! My whole family’s a mess, and there ain’t nothin’ I can do about it! That’s why! Too much worrying’!”

“I know things are rough with Dad, but you can’t worry too much about it.”

“I’m jus’ ready for the nuthouse. Jus’ like your dad.”

…and that was one of our better calls. :(

He’s already had surgery, but is still on the mend, obviously, and in a lot of pain. They can’t give him enough pain medication to really help because of the danger it’ll kill him, so they’re managing it as best they can.

At this point in life, doctors will usually push the limits with pain meds. They figure keeping the patient as comfortable as possible is worth the a higher risk of killing them.

Does he have a DNR? My dad does, so if he were to stop breathing, or go into coronary arrest, they won't try to resuscitate him. He made that decision while he was still mentally able to make that kind of decision.

CD

It came about because she told me she’s stopped driving, which we both agreed was a good thing. She said that after she went and “spent the night” at her “other house,” and had such a hard time getting back, everyone thought it was best she didn’t drive.

Does she still have car keys? :ohmy:

I waited too long to take my dad's car keys away. My mom and sister wanted to do it much sooner, but wanted me to be the one to do it. I didn't want to do that, until I realized he was running into things, and sooner or later (probably sooner), he was going to run into a person (a kid on a bike?).

CD

Update on my mom:

I called her yesterday. The last couple of times I’ve called, she’s sounded listless and tired, even somewhat slurred in speech, but yesterday, she was very alert and snappy with all her responses.

Didn’t matter, though. A lot of what she said was worrying. For example:

“What’d you do today, Mom?”

“Well, nothin’, near as I can tell. No one even came out t’day to take me to see your dad. I’ve a mind to jus’ drive myself over there.”

“Don’t do that, I’ll talk to the others and get someone to take you tomorrow. When’s the last time you talked to Roy?”

“T’day. He came out and took me to lunch.”

“Why didn’t you ask him to see Dad?”

“He offered, but I didn’t want to go.”

🤦🏻‍♂️

All in the same conversation, she said no one had come to see her, my brother Roy came and took her to lunch, no one offered to drive her out to see Dad, and Roy offered and she said no. 🫤

Everything we talked about, that’s how it went - contradiction after contradiction.

She was pretty sharpish, too, making snide remarks about her different kids, like:

“Didn’t Tammy see you today? I know she comes by almost every day.”

“No. She chose to take Deenie out to see Dad. That’s who she chose to take. Not me.”

Deenie is my dad’s 89yo sister. And:

“Have you talked to Paul lately?”

“Yes. He comes out reg’lar and brings me all kinds of things from the store. Li’l desserts and microwave things, things like that. Of course, he don’t wanna take me nowhere. It interferes with his ‘big plans.’”

I have no idea what she meant by “big plans.” 🤷🏻

“Well, it’s nice of him to make sure you’ve got some good things there to eat.”

“Yep…as long as he don’t havta bother with me.”

Everything with her has a downside, and that’s all she ever sees. She’s always been that way, extremely negative.

Remember I mentioned her delusion about going to “my other house” to check on things? She told me about that.

I said, “What other house do you mean?”

“I don’t know, but it’s exactly like this one here, and it’s in a town exactly like this one here, and I even have a dog there exactly like Junior here.”

She said all of this matter-of-factly, and in a tone like, “Beats me, but there you have it.”

Also, the story has changed since she first told my brother about it. It changed from “stopping by to check on things” to “spent the night,” and the whole thing about it being exactly like her current house/town, complete with a doppelgänger dog, is new.

But wait, it gets worse.

She asked how we were doing, and I mentioned that we’d gone up to Amish country for an overnight, did a little food shopping, gotten Dad his raisin fry pie, etc.

“That’s nice. I like them Amish. You know, your grandmom was Mennonite. You know that.”

“Yep, sure do.”

“You know…now that I think on it…that other house of mine is an Amish house. It’s a cute little Amish house, but just like this one I’m in here, too. That’s right…it’s in Amish country.”

🫤

The last thing she said was really sad. She said she’d been to the doctor, and the doctor had no explanation for her confusion and forgetfulness.

“She said I’m a real one-of-a-kind case, somethin’ she’s never seen before.”

“Well, you’re getting older and that can lead to forgetful-“

“That ain’t it! My whole family’s a mess, and there ain’t nothin’ I can do about it! That’s why! Too much worrying’!”

“I know things are rough with Dad, but you can’t worry too much about it.”

“I’m jus’ ready for the nuthouse. Jus’ like your dad.”

…and that was one of our better calls. :(

What can I say? It seems pretty clear she has dementia - although my Mum in her latter years did occasionally get very confused due to low calcium levels, I believe - so one should never assume.

Steve (my partner who has dementia) is getting rather worse in terms of getting up in the night. Currently, I'm still sleeping on the sofa downstairs (due to recovering from broken leg) so when he comes down I keep getting woken up. He is quite compliant with returning to bed, but nevertheless I'm suffering broken sleep which is affecting me.

Also, yesterday he had an accident in his trousers. Its the first time this has happened and it was really distressing. He had no idea it had happened and it was very difficult to persuade him that I needed to clean him up. I had to bin his trousers, pants and the cushion he was sitting on. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident due to something he ate, as normally he goes to the bathroom regularly. Yeah... I know... its probably the start of a new phase.

What can I say? It seems pretty clear she has dementia - although my Mum in her latter years did occasionally get very confused due to low calcium levels, I believe - so one should never assume.

My mom has significant short term memory issues, but it is not dementia. Her mom went through the exact same thing. We have circular conversations. She'll ask the same questions, and we'll answer them over and over. Yet, she can remember people and events from 30 years ago with near perfect accuracy.

CD

Does she still have car keys? :ohmy:
Yep, but she’s not driving. That was an easy one, as she hates driving anyway and has macular degeneration as well.

It would have been much harder getting them from my dad. He was driving right up until he went into care. He had absolutely no idea where he was or where he was going, even though he’s lived around here for nearly 70 years. Mom would ride shotgun and say, “Turn left here, go straight through these lights,” etc.

The last time I rode with him was probably 15 years ago. He sailed right through a 4-way stop, and I said, “Pap, that was a stop sign you just ran.”

“Was it? Well, it oughten’ve been!”

Ever since then, when we went somewhere together, I drove. No arguments.

caseydog did I miss it, or did you post up an update on your parents?

I don't recall. Not much has changed in the last few months. Dad is over his UTI.

His little brother is coming down next weekend (with wife) to see him. He'll like that. They are 14 years apart in age, but were really close. He has Parkinson's, and it has progresses a bit faster over the last year. I am going to meet them for breakfast about 40 miles from here in Denton. They always drive down, because my uncle is really afraid of flying. They often stop in Denton for the night, and I meet them for a meal.

CD

Back
Top Bottom