Recipe Carrabba's Sausage and Lentil Soup

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
8:10 AM
Carrabba's Sausage and Lentil Soup
I always thought that I made a lovely lentil soup until George brought home this recipe. He travels to Houston a lot and enjoys Carrabba's Restaurant. He ate this soup. Love at first bite. After dinner he went to the kitchen and spoke to the Chef. Using all of the charm and salesmanship skills at his disposal he acquired the recipe.
It really is an outstanding recipe. I made one change . The recipe calls for Hunt's Original Diced Tomatoes. I used San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes. Squished them with clean hands. The recipe was delicious with the Hunt's tomatoes. The flavor is through the roof with San Marzano Tomatoes
INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 lbs. mild Italian Sausage
1 lb. dried lentils
1 small onion-chopped
1 small zucchini - chopped
1 large carrot - chopped
1 stalk celery (with leaves) chopped
48 oz. chicken broth
28 oz San Marzano tomatoes with juice.
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated or shaved Parm to serve

METHOD
Remove the sausage from the casing and brown in a heavy bottom saute pan or skillet
Break up meat while browning
Deglaze the pan with chicken broth and transfer to heavy stockpot or soup pot.
Wash and drain the lentils
Combine all ingredients except for salt and pepper and Parmesan in stock pot.
Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
Add more broth if needed.
Taste
Salt and pepper if needed.
Serve topped with grated or shaved Parmesan
The soup is cooking. pictures later.
By far the best Lentil soup. Yes the tomatoes do make a huge difference. :hungry:

I always thought that I made a lovely lentil soup until George brought home this recipe. He travels to Houston a lot and enjoys Carrabba's Restaurant. He ate this soup. Love at first bite. After dinner he went to the kitchen and spoke to the Chef. Using all of the charm and salesmanship skills at his disposal he acquired the recipe.
It really is an outstanding recipe. I made one change . The recipe calls for Hunt's Original Diced Tomatoes. I used San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes. Squished them with clean hands. The recipe was delicious with the Hunt's tomatoes. The flavor is through the roof with San Marzano Tomatoes
INGREDIENTS
1 lb. dried lentils
1 small onion-chopped
1 large carrot - chopped
48 oz. chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste

METHOD
Remove the sausage from the casing and brown in a heavy bottom saute pan or skillet
Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
Taste
By far the best Lentil soup. Yes the tomatoes do make a huge difference. :hungry:

Not big on soup, but I'd gladly try a bowl !!

Russ

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. dried lentils
1 small onion-chopped
1 large carrot - chopped
48 oz. chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste

METHOD
Taste
Is true Elizabeth San Marzano tomato take flavour to higher place.
I will try this Grazie for share.

Sarana x

Let me know what your changes are.
I can already tell you. I don't have (nor do I want) a zucchini, so I'll put in a bit of bell pepper, and I just have canned diced tomatoes, so that'll be it for the tomatoes. I'm going to use green lentils, because that's what I have.

Back
Top Bottom