Cauliflower crust pizza

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:22 AM
Have any of you guys heard of or made pizza with a cauliflower crust? We've never tried it but it keeps showing up more and more in cooking shows over here.

Last edited:
Have any of you guys heard of or made pizza with a cauliflower crust? We've never tried it but it keeps showing up more and more in cooking shows over here.

Yes I've heard of it - its supposed to be the healthy/less calorie option. But really, why would you? The delights of a pizza are in that melding of dough with topping. I love cauliflower but its certainly not a substitute for dough.

Yep, I made one, it was excellent. I think it was back in April last year and worked really well as a substitute for dough. In fact my husband requested that I make another one because he liked it so much. But you need a whole head of cauliflower for a single pizza dough replacement that served 2 of us.

DSC_1114.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted the original as a post in the dinner thread because several of you were discussing low carb alternatives to things like lasagna, not sure how it got started as a new thread.

It's not something I'm really interested in because I don't eat pizza unless it's done in a wood fired oven set up anymore and I don't think they have figured out how to do that with cauliflower yet. Yes, I'm a pizza snob and proud of it. I pretty much only eat Margherita pizza anyway anymore given my loss of appetite and only able to eat 2 or 3 small pieces anymore even when I am hungry.

Oh, ok, Morning Glory moved it and started a new thread. I will say it appears people are continuing to experiment and improve the product. Apparently some have gotten the crust to the point where you can actually pick a piece of cauliflower crust up and eat it like a regular pizza, which you couldn't do with the first ones, think knife and fork only.

Last edited:
It's not something I'm really interested in because I don't eat pizza unless it's done in a wood fired oven set up anymore and I don't think they have figured out how to do that with cauliflower yet. Yes, I'm a pizza snob and proud of it. I pretty much only eat Margherita pizza anyway anymore given my loss of appetite and only able to eat 2 or 3 small pieces anymore even when I am hungry.

Oh, ok, Morning Glory moved it and started a new thread. I will say it appears people are continuing to experiment and improve the product. Apparently some have gotten the crust to the point where you can actually pick a piece of cauliflower crust up and eat it like a regular pizza, which you couldn't do with the first ones, think knife and fork only.
I did do mine in my wood fire pizza oven (I have posted a picture of it in another thread) and yes, you could pick it up (albeit carefully) and eat in the conventional manner. For me, it was an experiment because I have a friend on a low to no carb diet who we had invited to our pizza meal. I don't fire up the pizza oven that often in summer because of fire safety concerns and the need to contact the rural fire brigade and get a fire permit (free and easily obtained, just a hassle but part of life living in Australia). For 6 months of the year there are fire risks and at certain times of year, all solid fuel fires are banned. When things are really bad and fire is very high risk, all outdoor fires of any type (gas included) are banned. Again it is just part and parcel of life in Australia.

I posted the original as a post in the dinner thread because several of you were discussing low carb alternatives to things like lasagna, not sure how it got started as a new thread.

It may be better for a new thread on Low Carb alternatives, or perhaps that is what this thread should be?

Yes, I'm a pizza snob and proud of it. I pretty much only eat Margherita pizza anyway anymore given my loss of appetite and only able to eat 2 or 3 small pieces anymore even when I am hungry.

Why have you lost appetite? Have I missed something?

I did do mine in my wood fire pizza oven (I have posted a picture of it in another thread) and yes, you could pick it up (albeit carefully) and eat in the conventional manner. For me, it was an experiment because I have a friend on a low to no carb diet who we had invited to our pizza meal. I don't fire up the pizza oven that often in summer because of fire safety concerns and the need to contact the rural fire brigade and get a fire permit (free and easily obtained, just a hassle but part of life living in Australia). For 6 months of the year there are fire risks and at certain times of year, all solid fuel fires are banned. When things are really bad and fire is very high risk, all outdoor fires of any type (gas included) are banned. Again it is just part and parcel of life in Australia.

It may be better for a new thread on Low Carb alternatives, or perhaps that is what this thread should be?

Wow, what a PITA to fire up the pizza oven, kind of makes it not even worth spending the money to build. The fire bricks and all the high heat stuff to build to code here is $$$.

Why have you lost appetite? Have I missed something?

Just haven't been feeling like eating a lot lately, am as likely to forget to eat until Craig comes home from work (I work over the Internet from home) as I am to actually eat anymore, don't eat much when I do eat. The last time I actually finished a bowl or plate was our chicken noodle soup the other night. Couldn't even finish all my shrimp/truffle risotto and I LOVED that. I'm sure most of the reason if not all of the reason is the arthritis pain flare I've been having. Not sleeping well either because of said pain and if I sit down in the recliner and stretch out before eating breakfast/lunch, I work for a couple of hours before, I usually fall asleep until it's time to go back to work and don't feel like messing with food when just waking up, so... Hopefully, when this flare eases up, appetite will come back. Not like I couldn't stand to lose a few pounds anyway.

Wow, what a PITA to fire up the pizza oven, kind of makes it not even worth spending the money to build. The fire bricks and all the high heat stuff to build to code here is $$$.
They are much less of a concern in Australia. This is just the special circular bricks that fit together into a circle of semi circle more accurately of a certain size. The pump that supplies the air flow to heat to a higher temp doubles to do the BBQ on the other side of the pizza oven. That's a massive affair. Chimneys are standard flues and to stop the reason coming down when it's not in use there is just an up turned bucket on it. The metal base to the pizza oven and the door are standard off the shelf with the fire bricks....

And the permit to light a solid fuel fire during certain times of the year is just part of life in any fire prone area. It's the same for a solid fuel BBQ or open fire off any kind. That way if the fire brigade get phone calls relating to wood smoke in a certain area, they ring you first. It's common courtesy to let your neighbours know if you will be burning anything on a bonfire so that you don't call the rural fire service. In Australia, any smoke smelt in the bush is a phone call to the fire service unless you know otherwise... They play it safe. Last summer we had 2 closer calls. One was only 10 minutes burn time away from our home had the wind have changed direction which is insufficient time to get out via the 12km of dirt roads we have to navigate. Inside 3 hours over 8,700 hectares were lost to the fire which closed the 2 shortest and fastest routes from hubby's work to home. There was only 1 other route. Ironically that route is the most likely one that a fire would come from.

When the fire risk is at a certain level, I drove my husband to work so that I have the car (level 5 of the 6). if it's level 6,then we leave and stay with friends in the city. Level 4 is keep the radio on and monitor the situation. There's a dedicated emergency radio station that updates get issued via. If there is anything in the area then at level 4 my husband is notified and he will watch it from work to keep an eye on the situation. We have an emergency bag packed. It had everything needed in it to stay away from home, prove who we are and a weeks supply of my medication plus evidence of what I take to obtain more. It's a grab bag and part and parcel of living rurally in Australia. You adapt,

But outside the fire risk months (shorter season this year) we can light it anytime without the need for a fire permit (free phone call and free permit in the fire season). Curiously we can still light the wood burning stove or open fire in the house during these months without a permit!

Back
Top Bottom