Recipe Celery crêpes with juniper berries

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
11:27 AM
Celery crêpes with juniper berries
letut_15.jpg

Preparation 1 hour + shallow-frying 30 min
About 8 crêpes (ø 20 cm), serves 4 (hors d'oeuvre/starter or snack)

Ingredients

150-200 g prepared celery stalks (hard stems discarded)
5 dl skimmed milk
2 dl plain flour
2 eggs
7-8 juniper berries, crushed in mortar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon caster sugar
A pinch of ground white pepper
A pinch of finger salt (to sprinkle on top)

Preparation

Cut the tender parts of celery stalks into generous bits and steam them for 30-40 min until overcooked and soft. Let cool.
Press the stalks with a masher. Add the milk, eggs and spices and mix well. Add the flour gradually while whisking. Let the flour puff up for 20-30 minutes.
Dose 1 teaspoon of butter and about 1 dl of batter with a ladle/clamshell on a small frying pan, roll over gently to level the batter and shallow-fry each crêpe on medium heat for ~1,5 min per side. Use a thin-edged turner to flip. Roll the crêpes onto a serving plate next to the frying pan to keep them warm.
Drizzle some syrup on top and finish with cheese shavings and a pinch of finger salt. Serve with e.g. Gose type beer with a hue of lemon.

letut_a.jpg

letut_b.jpg

Last edited:
Celery Crêpes With Juniper Berries
View attachment 48351

Preparation 1 hour + shallow-frying 30 min
About 8 crêpes (ø 20 cm), serves 4 (hors d'oeuvre/starter or snack)

Ingredients

150-200 g prepared celery stalks (hard stems discarded)
5 dl skimmed milk
2 dl plain flour
2 eggs
7-8 juniper berries, crushed in mortar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon caster sugar
A pinch of ground white pepper
A pinch of finger salt (to sprinkle on top)

Preparation

Cut the tender parts of celery stalks into generous bits and steam them for 30-40 min until overcooked and soft. Let cool.
Press the stalks with a masher. Add the milk, eggs and spices and mix well. Add the flour gradually while whisking. Let the flour puff up for 20-30 minutes.
Dose 1 teaspoon of butter and about 1 dl of batter with a ladle/clamshell on a small frying pan, roll over gently to level the batter and shallow-fry each crêpe on medium heat for ~1,5 min per side. Use a thin-edged turner to flip. Roll the crêpes onto a serving plate next to the frying pan to keep them warm.
Drizzle some syrup on top and finish with cheese shavings and a pinch of finger salt. Serve with e.g. Gose type beer with a hue of lemon.

View attachment 48352
View attachment 48353

Oh dear, you can't imagine how much I'm already loving this recipe. Celery is one of those vegetables that are often too much underestimated and whose uses are really limited. Then Hemulen makes celery crepes, and with juniper! 1000 times yes. I love it.
I also use celery leaves a lot, and they are always a bit forgotten or thrown away. Have you ever tried pesto using them? I do and it's worth it.

Last edited:
Oh dear, you can't imagine how much I'm already loving this recipe. Celery is one of those vegetables that are often too much underestimated and whose uses are really limited. Then Hemulen makes celery crepes, and with juniper! 1000 times yes. I love it.
I also use celery leaves a lot, and they are always a bit forgotten or thrown away. Have you ever tried pesto using them? I do and it's worth it.
No, I've stuck to traditional pesto with basil but I'll give the celery version a try. Thanks for the tip!

I meant underused as a featured or "star" vegetable.
Yes...exactly. Celery usually disappears into a dish. Every stock I make has it. And, as CraigC mentions, this is a core component of so many amazing Louisiana dishes.

But, this is really unexpected, and very clever.

Back
Top Bottom