Recipe Celery Root and Yukon Gold Gratin

The OMWC

Local time
9:29 AM
Website
www.enjoyterracotta.com
This was a favorite of my late wife who demanded it every year for Thanksgiving and New Years Eve.

gratin.jpg

We adapted this recipe from David Rosengarten’s “Dean & DeLuca Cookbook.” Our version of this dish is a bit richer than the original, with a bit of extra funk from the Raclette, as if that were needed. That funky quality matches better with wine.

2 lbs celery root, peeled and cubed
2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 c cream
1/2 c butter
1 tsp saffron
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 c Gruyere, grated
1 c Raclette, grated
Salt and pepper
1/2 c Italian parsley, chopped

Boil the celery root and potatoes separately in salted water until each is soft. Strain and set aside.

Heat the cream until it boils, then stir in the butter, saffron, and garlic. Reduce the heat, then simmer for 5 minutes until the saffron is extracted and the mixture slightly thickened. Set aside.

Puree the celery root (Rosengarten suggests a food processor; I prefer a hand-held Braun puree thingamabob), while gradually adding the cream sauce. Mash the potatoes coarsely, or use a ricer if you want a smoother texture. Combine the potato, celery root, and one cup of the Gruyere; season to taste with salt and pepper.

Spread the mixture in a greased oven-proof dish, top with the remaining cheese and the parsley, then bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until the top is browned.

Our favorite wine match is a non-oaked sauvignon blanc like a good Sancerre, though a Gruner Veltliner would also be terrific. Acidity and a herbal/vegetal character is a plus. Next time I make it, I'm going to try pairing with an Amber Rkatsiteli.

BTW, that baking dish is made from local Terra Cotta by a woman who has a secret process that yields a very non-stick surface. The stuff is limited- I have that dish, a quiche pan, and a lasagna pan.

Back
Top Bottom