karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
1:04 AM
Ingredients:
500 gms sashimi grade sea bass
120 mls/1/2 cup fresh lime juice (anyone using Rose´s Lime Cordial will be executed)
1 medium red onion, julienned
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1-2 "ají amarillo" * (or thai chiles, or sweet chiles), chopped
1-2 tbsps fresh cilantro
1 medium sweet potato, cooked
* ají amarillo is a long, orange pepper from Perú. Not fiercely hot; about the same as a jalapeño, but with a sweetish, floral flavour. If you can´t find it, use any hot pepper you wish.

Method:
  • Cut the fish into bite-sized pieces and put it into a large bowl.
  • Add all the other ingredients except the sweet potato and mix together.
  • Divide the ceviche into about 8 portions and put into smaller bowls
  • Mash the sweet potato and top the ceviche with a dollop on each bowl. (Alternately, you can slice the potato into 8 rounds and put the round at the bottom of each bowl)
  • Serve immediately.

I'd never heard of ceviche served with mashed sweet potato before, interesting.
Not a common occurrence. Normally you might see a crunch as opposed to a smooth puree or a cooked softer starch. It's difficult to assess unless you actually try it but I think it would work well. Again raw fish is probably consumed in most cultures where there's been easy access for eons and many kinds of combinations that are not well known.

I'd never heard of ceviche served with mashed sweet potato before, interesting.
Believe it or not, this is typical of Perú. A dollop of sweet potato offsets the acidity of the ceviche and the heat of the hot peppers. I learned this from a friend in Caracas who spent a couple of years in Perú, investigating all the different ceviches available.
And surprise, surprise - the Peruvians love hot peppers . Possibly because chiles are one of their primary crops. There´s evidence of chiles being eaten in Perú 7500 years ago, and Perú is probably the home of the potato. There are more than 3,000 varieties there.

Back
Top Bottom