Recipe Cheddar and Broccoli Soup

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:02 PM
A rather easy soup to make. Its surprisingly thick in consistency considering that there are no thickening agents added. My aim was to produce a green soup which is why I used the baby leeks rather than onions or large leeks. That way I could use the the green parts of the leek. Steaming or microwaving the broccoli helps retain the colour too and the raw baby spinach leaves (optional) also help with the colour.

Ingredients (serves 2)
340g broccoli florets
3 baby leeks (approx.125g)
25g butter
50 ml white wine
450 ml hot vegetable stock
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 handfuls of raw baby spinach (optional)
100g grated strong Cheddar cheese
Salt to taste

To garnish:
2 fat cloves of garlic, cut into thin slivers
1 tbsp oil
Aleppo chilli flakes

Method
  1. Steam or microwave the broccoli until tender (I microwaved the broccoli in a shallow covered bowl with a little water for 5 mins).
  2. Chop the leeks into thin slices.
  3. Melt the butter in a large pan and add the leeks. Cook gently until the leeks soften.
  4. Add the white wine and turn up the heat. Cook for a few minutes and then add the stock and Dijon mustard. Simmer for five minutes.
  5. Place the soup in a blender or use a stick blender. Add the raw spinach leaves and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and add the cheese. Simmer until the cheese melts into the soup. If necessary add water until the soup is your desired consistency.
  6. Taste and add salt if desired. I found it wasn't required as the Cheddar I used had a salty tang.

For the garnish:
  1. Heat the oil in a small frying pan and add the garlic slivers. Fry until golden and drain on kitchen paper. You can do this ahead of time.
  2. Sprinkle the garlic slivers and Aleppo pepper over the bowls of soup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom