Recipe Cheddar, Apple and Onion Grilled Sandwiches

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:16 PM
2021-05-27-18-07-15-jpg.jpg

Makes 3 sandwiches

1/2 of a large onion, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
1 apple, Granny Smith or Honey crisp, to your taste, cored and sliced in 1/4 inch thick matchsticks
1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter plus more to grill sandwiches
salt and pepper
4 ounces sharp cheddar, grated, divided into 3 equal piles
1/4 pound baked deli ham, sliced thinly at the deli
6 slices of sandwich bread

In a small skillet, melt butter over medium to medium-low heat. Add onions, some salt and pepper, and cook until they soften and just start to brown at edges. Add apples, and a little more salt and pepper, and cook until apples soften, but aren't falling apart. Set aside to cool so you can handle.

Lay 3 slices of bread on a work surface. Evenly distribute just under half of 1 of the piles of cheese on each piece of bread. Evenly divide the ham slcies among the 3 pieces of bread. Sprinkle a little bit of cheese on top of the ham, leaving just under half in each pile. Then, evenly distribute the apple/onion mixture on the 3 slices of bread. Add remaining cheese to each bread slice, and cover with the 3 remaining slices of bread.

In a non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat, melt about 1/2 Tbsp of butter for each sandwich. I did them 1 at a time in a small skillet. Place a sandwich on top of the melted butter, moving it around to make sure and soak it all up. Allow the sandwich to cook until golden brown on bottom. With a spatula, remove the sandwich from the skillet, place on your work surface, and, using your fingers and spatula, flip the sandwich over so that the uncooked slice is on the bottom. Add an additional 1/2 Tbsp of butter for each sandwich to skillet and, using the spatula, place the sandwich back into the skillet and cook until brown.

I treat the sandwiches as above to A) use the cheese as a glue to hold everything together once it has melted, and B) so that when you flip, toppings don't go everywhere.

Cut sandwiches in half and serve while hot.

Last edited:
I really like this. I feared when I read the title that the apple might not be cooked. But I should have known better. Not only are they cooked but they are cooked with onions in butter.

I'd eat this sandwich minus the ham.

I really like this. I feared when I read the title that the apple might not be cooked. But I should have known better. Not only are they cooked but they are cooked with onions in butter.

I'd eat this sandwich minus the ham.

If you eat roast chicken (actually sandwich was made with roast turkey, but I know those are few and far between there), I had a sandwich once with brie, cooked granny smith apples, and roast turkey, smooth Dijon, and grilled as a panini. OMG! I need to make those again.

In fact, after thinking about it, these sandwiches would probably benefit from a little Dijon as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom