• 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1 small shallot, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • Kosher salt
  • ½ cup apple butter
  • 8 slices country bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
  • 4 ounces sharp Cheddar, sliced 1/4-inch thick

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat a large, 12-inch skillet over medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon butter, then add apples, shallots, rosemary and a pinch of salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until apples are golden and softened, 8 to 10 minutes, reducing the heat if shallots threaten to burn. Transfer mixture to a plate; set aside.
  2. Rinse and dry the pan, and set over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter (2 tablespoons if you're cooking two sandwiches at a time). Spread one side of each bread slice with 1 tablespoon apple butter (this will be the inside of the sandwich). With the apple butter-side facing up, top four of the bread slices with 1 ounce Cheddar each; divide the apple mixture among the remaining four slices of bread. (Don’t assemble the sandwiches yet: The topped slices are first cooked, then combined.)
  3. Add one Cheddar-topped piece and one apple-topped piece to the pan (two of each if your pan can accommodate it), drizzle 2 teaspoons of water in the pan, and cover. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat if bread is browning too fast. Sandwich the two pieces together, cut in half, and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining ingredients, adding more butter to then pan if necessary.

Recipe courtesy of New York Times Cooking (website)

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cheese

Cheddar-Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
  • Kosher salt
  • ½ cup apple butter

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat a large, 12-inch skillet over medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon butter, then add apples, shallots, rosemary and a pinch of salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until apples are golden and softened, 8 to 10 minutes, reducing the heat if shallots threaten to burn. Transfer mixture to a plate; set aside.
  2. Rinse and dry the pan, and set over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter (2 tablespoons if you're cooking two sandwiches at a time). Spread one side of each bread slice with 1 tablespoon apple butter (this will be the inside of the sandwich). With the apple butter-side facing up, top four of the bread slices with 1 ounce Cheddar each; divide the apple mixture among the remaining four slices of bread. (Don’t assemble the sandwiches yet: The topped slices are first cooked, then combined.)
  3. Add one Cheddar-topped piece and one apple-topped piece to the pan (two of each if your pan can accommodate it), drizzle 2 teaspoons of water in the pan, and cover. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat if bread is browning too fast. Sandwich the two pieces together, cut in half, and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining ingredients, adding more butter to then pan if necessary.

Never heard of that combo? I guess it works?

Russ

Cheddar-Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
  • Kosher salt
  • ½ cup apple butter

DIRECTIONS:

I wish I had the ingredients, I would make it now.

Apples and cheese are a natural combination. It works!
This is a combo that I haven't tried yet, but it does something interesting. If your only apple element was the apple butter, it would be a subtle sweet/savory combo. But, it's really more sweet/savory/sour, because that Granny Smith apple says I'M AN APPLE with every bite. You need sharp cheddar to fight through the tartness.

We have just run out of fruit, so I will plan to get some Granny Smiths this weekend, and they can wrestle with the cheddar I have. I have to try this.

This is a combo that I haven't tried yet, but it does something interesting. If your only apple element was the apple butter, it would be a subtle sweet/savory combo. But, it's really more sweet/savory/sour, because that Granny Smith apple says I'M AN APPLE with every bite. You need sharp cheddar to fight through the tartness.

We have just run out of fruit, so I will plan to get some Granny Smiths this weekend, and they can wrestle with the cheddar I have. I have to try this.
Let me know how you like it. With the cheese and the sweet/sour and the shallots, this is a really rich meal for "just" being a grilled cheese sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom