The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:28 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
bb46c1c7-ed65-4444-ae3f-01680be483dc-jpeg.jpg

After my first failed attempt to make this, where I cooked the black rice and white rice together, I decided to make this like two separate preparations, and then mix them together at the end. The first time, I cooked everything in an Instant Pot, with the intention of making a sort of risotto, and - while tasty - the colors ran together.

I have split the ingredients to show these separate preparations. The black rice was still prepared in the Instant Pot, while the white rice is prepared the way I usually make rice: on the stove top.

As a side note: Instant Pot and I are now friends. I have to admit I had some resentment, since it's not quite as Instant as the name implies (and slower than the clunky old pressure cooker I had). But, I am starting to appreciate what it can do.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 cup black rice
2 ounces chardonnay
1/2 or 1 cup vegetable stock
--
1/2 cup white rice
2 tablespoons miso paste, reduced sodium
1/2 ounce green onion, cut in 1/4" (6 mm) pieces
1/2 cup oven dried tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock

Directions

1. Heat a pot to medium heat, or set Instant Pot to Saute. Add oil, then add garlic once the oil is well-distributed. Saute for at least a minute, stirring continuously, or until slightly browned and fragrant. Add black rice and mix until fully covered by garlic and oil. Heat, stirring continuously, for another 3 minutes. Deglaze the pot with chardonnay. Heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost completely absorbed.

If using stove top, do step 2a. If cooking in Instant Pot, do step 2b.

2a. Warm up vegetable stock (if refrigerated). Add 1 cup vegetable stock, stirring thoroughly to get all the bits from the side. Cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for another 20 minutes or until liquid is fully incorporated.

2b. Warm up vegetable stock (if refrigerated). Add 1/2 cup vegetable stock , stirring thoroughly to get all the bits from the side. Seal Instant Pot and use Rice setting.

IMG_0521.JPG

3. Bring 1 cup of vegetable stock to a boil in a pot, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add white rice, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is fully incorporated.

4. Raise heat to medium, and add miso paste to the rice.

IMG_0522.JPG

5. Stir in until fully incorporated.

IMG_0523.JPG

6. Add green onions, stirring to fully incorporate. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

View attachment 28772
7. Stir in oven dried tomatoes. Carefully stir in black rice until it is just incorporated: the more you work it, the more likely the colors are to run.

IMG_0526.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
I think you nailed it - my only (minor) comment is that I think it looks better as a mix in the pan rather than a neat 'ring' on the plate. I just think its that sort of dish that looks better in a bit of a riot on the plate.

Back
Top Bottom