• 6 Garlic cloves, smashed
  • 25 mm Piece of ginger, grated
  • 4 Fresh green chilies, chopped
  • Seeds from three black cardamoms, crushed
  • 3 Cloves
  • 25 mm Stick of cinnamon
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 300 gm chopped tomatoes
  • Grind ½ teaspoon each of turmeric, chili powder (or cayenne pepper), paprika, and fennel seeds with 1 teaspoon of ground coriander seeds
  • 250 gm potatoes, scrubbed and diced
  • ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
  • ¼ tsp Salt
  • 2 tblsp Fresh coriander leaf, shredded
chickenpotatocurry s.jpg

Method

Fry the onion, garlic, ginger, green chilis, cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf in the butter until the onion turns a golden brown. Add the chopped tomato and stir cook for a few minutes (until the tomato is broken up).

Add the ground spices and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Put the chicken pieces in and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add 1.5 pints of boiling water and the potatoes.

Cover and simmer over a very low heat for about 1 hour. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper and coriander leaves,stir for a minute and serve.

It looks delicious. :hungry:

Seeds from three black cardamoms, crushed

For some reason I never think to remove the seeds from black cardamom, only green ones - I always put them in whole and remove them at the end. Why, I've no idea! I will have to try using them this way.

Ingredients.
  • 1.5 kg Chicken pieces
  • Butter (for frying)
  • 2 Large onions, chopped
  • 6 Garlic cloves, smashed
  • 25 mm Piece of ginger, grated
  • 4 Fresh green chilies, chopped
  • Seeds from three black cardamoms, crushed
  • 3 Cloves
  • 25 mm Stick of cinnamon
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 300 gm chopped tomatoes
  • Grind ½ teaspoon each of turmeric, chili powder (or cayenne pepper), paprika, and fennel seeds with 1 teaspoon of ground coriander seeds
  • 250 gm potatoes, scrubbed and diced
  • ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
  • ¼ tsp Salt
  • 2 tblsp Fresh coriander leaf, shredded
View attachment 13960
Method

Fry the onion, garlic, ginger, green chilis, cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf in the butter until the onion turns a golden brown. Add the chopped tomato and stir cook for a few minutes (until the tomato is broken up).

Add the ground spices and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Put the chicken pieces in and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add 1.5 pints of boiling water and the potatoes.

Cover and simmer over a very low heat for about 1 hour. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper and coriander leaves,stir for a minute and serve.

What type of potatoes do you use? They look like a starchy type like russets, but I can't be sure.

For some reason I never think to remove the seeds from black cardamom, only green ones - I always put them in whole and remove them at the end. Why, I've no idea! I will have to try using them this way.

When I used to make garam masala in UK I always used black cardamom seeds (a la Madhur Jaffrey). My mother-in-law would visit about once per month and I would present her with a handful of black cardamoms from which she would happily recover the seeds whilst watching the television.

garammasala.jpg

What type of potatoes do you use? They look like a starchy type like russets, but I can't be sure.

We use Chinese potatoes cause they're the only potatoes we have. Actually they are more flourery than waxy. As you say, starchy.

Thanks! Can't imagine only having 1 choice for potatoes. I watched a cooking/travel show that was about Peru. They have over 300 varieties of potatoes, of which we can get a few here.

Thanks! Can't imagine only having 1 choice for potatoes. I watched a cooking/travel show that was about Peru. They have over 300 varieties of potatoes, of which we can get a few here.

Apparently, the Chinese potatoes that are available here are grown from a Dutch seed variety. They are grown in the north in colder climes.

Last edited:

I've said the same thing to @Yorky re the potatoes! I think they must be pretty good all-rounders that he is using because they seem to hold up in all kinds of dishes. When I put potatoes in curry I generally (not always) use what in the UK are called 'new potatoes' - the more 'waxy' less floury type. The kind you wouldn't use for mashing.

I've said the same thing to @Yorky re the potatoes! I think they must be pretty good all-rounders that he is using because they seem to hold up in all kinds of dishes. When I put potatoes in curry I generally (not always) use what in the UK are called 'new potatoes' - the more 'waxy' less floury type. The kind you wouldn't use for mashing.

We also call them "new potatoes". They come in red, white, gold and purple. We also get fingerling potatoes in the same colors.

...having said that it looks like most of the curry recipes I've posted here don't use new potatoes! In reality, almost any potato will work axcept the kind that are liable to disintegrate to a mush. Here is a similar dish to @Yorky 's which I posted ages ago.

Back
Top Bottom