Recipe Chicken Dopiaza

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:34 PM
Dopiaza means 'onions twice' (from Hindi do ‘two’ + pyāz ‘onion’). There are many different versions of this dish with varying amounts of onion. The thing I like about dopiaza is that the second layer of onions adds a sweetness and texture to the base sauce. Its generally a medium hot dish when served in restaurants but there is nothing to stop you adjusting the level of chilli to suit.

Ingredients (serves 2)
1 tbsp oil
½ a large white onion, finely chopped
2 fat cloves of garlic, grated
1 tbsp ginger paste or grated ginger
1 x 400g tin of chopped or crushed tomatoes (280g minus the tin)
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp coriander seeds
½ fenugreek seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli (or to taste)
1 tsp salt
340g chicken breast (2 breasts)
2 small red onions
2 mild green chillies
½ tsp brown mustard seeds
Coriander leaves to garnish (optional)

Method
  1. Sauté the chopped onion in the oil until it caramelised.
  2. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes.
  3. Add the spices, tomatoes, salt and water and mix well.
  4. Bring to simmering point and cook the sauce for 15 minutes adding more water if it reduces too much. Purée the sauce (I use a stick blender)
  5. Chop the chicken into large pieces and add the the sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for a further 25 minutes.
  6. Whilst the chicken is cooking, peel the red onions leaving the root trimmed but intact. Slice each onion in half then into quarters and/or eighths, depending on size. Slice the green chillies in half, lengthways
  7. Heat the oil In a separate pan and gently fry the onion and chillies until tender.
  8. Before serving, turn up the heat and add the mustard seeds to the onion and chilli. Fry for a few seconds.
  9. If you wish you can now mix all the onion and green chillies into the chicken and sauce. I like to reserve some to layer on top, like a classic ‘tarka'.

Last edited:
How much water are you supposed to add in the beginning?

And there's nothing about tomatoes in ingredients.

How much water are you supposed to add in the beginning?

And there's nothing about tomatoes in ingredients.

Oh my! I now realise that tomatoes aren't even on the ingredient list. I think I used a 400g tin of crushed tomatoes. The water is very little. You are aiming at a thick sauce. I'm really sorry to be so vague. :shy:

Just got done making the sauce. Only tomatoes I had in pantry, besides what craig needs for another dish, was tomato sauce, 220 grams, so that's what I used. I used 100 ml of water and it's pretty thick after the first cook. I still have to puree, but I'll do that later since I'm doing it in stages.

The sauce is pretty tomato-y with the 220. Haven't tasted it yet, was going to let it cool some and puree, then taste.

Used the dried Kashmiri chiles to make powder. Pretty potent. I tried some with my finger dusted on tip of tongue. My tongue let me know it was not happy for several minutes.

The sauce is pretty tomato-y with the 220. Haven't tasted it yet, was going to let it cool some and puree, then taste.

I don't know what tomato sauce in the US is like - I imagine it to be much 'richer' than a tin of tomatoes. Does it have additional ingredients?

I don't know what tomato sauce in the US is like - I imagine it to be much 'richer' than a tin of tomatoes. Does it have additional ingredients?

No, it's just tomatoes, their juice and maybe some salt and water, can is already in recycling bin. It would probably be equivalent to a tin of chopped tomatoes pureed and reduced some.

As an aside, smells pretty good in here.

Back
Top Bottom