Recipe Chicken ginger noodle vege soup

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:16 AM
This was based on a Taste of Home magazine recipe, but I added/increased some ingredients, plus the original recipe was for a slow-cooker and we don't do that so I modified. As I wrote in the dinner thread, I didn't get a picture because I was on phone with our DD when Craig brought me a bowl and he loved it so much that he went back for thirds. There's only half a bowl left. :thumbsdown:

Prep and cooking time for me was about 1-1/2 hours total, BUT, I did all the mise en place first. After I made it, realized there was a more efficient way of doing it. Set the mise en place for the broth, then cut up the rest of the veges and chicken while the broth simmers away getting nice and tasty. So, that will probably cut prep/cook time down to closer to an hour since you can cut the veges and chicken up in the order they go into the pot.

6 cups unsalted chicken broth
1 cup water
3 Tbsp sherry or shaoxing
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce/Tamari
1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2/3 to 3/4 cup medium chopped onion
2 cups fresh snow peas,cleaned of strings and halved
1 baby bok choy, sliced thinly crosswise, divide large white pieces from leafy green pieces(optional, we had in fridge from another meal)
3 chicken thighs, bone-in/skin on, remove skin and excess fat, and debone, reserve skin and bones, cut chicken in large bite size pieces (it will shrink as it cooks)
2 medium carrots, large shredded
2 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta, broken into quarters

Garnish
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
crispy chicken skin (see note)

Place broth and water in a large pan. Add next 7 ingredients, plus bones from chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the vegetables.

Remove bones and discard. Add the chicken and white parts of bok choy. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add snow pea pods and simmer for a couple of minutes. Add the carrots, green parts of the bok choy, and pasta, and cook until pasta is done, probably 4-6 minutes, check the box for directions. Taste broth and add additional salt and pepper to taste.

Serve in bowls garnished with cilantro and crispy chicken skin if desired.

NOTE: You can also garnish with crispy chicken skin. To do that, use a nonstick skillet large enough to hold the chicken skin laid flat. Start over medium low to render fat, turning occasionally. You may have to increase to medium heat so that skin crisps and turns golden brown. Remove from pan, lightly salt, and let drain on paper towels. Then, break into large pieces and sprinkle over top when serving.

Last edited:
I add shiitakis this time. It took just over an hour start to finish with the tips noted above about prep.

Back
Top Bottom