Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:06 AM
Not for the faint hearted, this curry uses 6 different types of chilli. If you dare to go even hotter, substitute the Scotch bonnet with Carolina reapers, bhut jolokia or scorpian chillies. Serve with naan bread and/or rice and don’t forget the plain yoghurt!

Ingredients
2 Scotch bonnet chillies
2 tbsp wine vinegar
2 tbsp water
4 medium or 3 large skinless bone-in chicken thighs
1 tsp each of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, small dried hot chillies and fenugreek seeds
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
1 heaped tsp ginger paste (or grated ginger)
1 heaped tsp garlic paste (or grated garlic)
½ tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
2 tsp hot chilli powder
75ml water
5 green birds-eye chillies (pierced in several places with the tip of a sharp knife)
Salt to taste
Mild green chilli (finely sliced) and coriander leaves to garnish

Method
  1. Finely chop the Scotch bonnet chillies and place in a large bowl (include the seeds). Mix in the vinegar and water.
  2. Add the chicken thighs, turning to coat them on all sides. Cover and leave to marinate for at least two hours (or overnight).
  3. Toast the whole spices in a dry non-stick pan until they release their aroma. This takes less than a minute. Grind the toasted spices to a powder and set aside.
  4. Heat the oil to a pan large enough to contain the chicken. Add the chopped onion and fry gently until golden brown. Add the ginger and garlic and continue cooking for a few minutes.
  5. Add the ground toasted spices, tomatoes and water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste. At this stage you can purée the sauce, if you wish (I used a stick blender directly in the pan).
  6. Add the chicken thighs plus their marinade and the whole green birds-eye chillies to the sauce.
  7. Simmer gently for 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add salt to taste.
  8. To serve, garnish with the sliced mild green chillies and coriander leaves and some plain yoghurt on the side.

Last edited:
I use habaneros, which are very similar to Scotch bonnets. Scotch bonnets are very hard to find around here, and probably a lot of other places. Habaneros are a lot more available here.

BTW, to get some of the heat and flavor of really hot chili peppers, without going too hot, cut slits in whole peppers, and add them to sauces and broths during cooking, then remove them at the end of cooking -- basically as you would bay leaves.

CD

Beautiful photo Morning.

I just so happen to have a bag of Scotch Bonnets in my freezer I need to start using. I just might have to give this a shot, the spicer the better!

Back
Top Bottom