Recipe Chicken Soup with Corn Dumplings

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:34 PM
Chicken Soup with Corn Dumplings:

NOTE: This recipe uses Turmeric & Black Pepper.

Ingredients:

1) Chicken Half Breast - 1
2) Chicken Soup Broth or Bouillon - 1 to 2 Tspns.

NOTE: For this recipe, Chicken Better Than Bouillon (BTB) was used.

3) Olive Oil - as needed
4) Lemon Juice - as needed
5) Frozen Mixed Vegetables - 1/4 Cup
6) Garlic - 1/8 Cup
7) Scallions - 1/8 Cup
8) Turmeric - 3 Tspns.
9) Black Pepper - 2 Tspn.
10) Corn Meal - 1/4 to 1/2 Cup
11) Corn Harina - 1/4 Cup
12) Mashed Potato Flakes - 1/8 Cup
13) Baking Soda - 1 Tspn.
14) Eggs - 1
15) Half N Half - as needed
16) Water - as needed
16) Annaheim Pepper - 1/4 to 1/2

ChickenCornDumplingSoup.jpg

Procedure:

1) Dice the Garlic and cross cut the Scallions.
2) Set aside.
3) Dice the Annaheim Pepper.
4) In a Bowl, mix Corn Meal, Harina, Potato Flakes and Baking Soda.
5) Add Eggs, Half n Half, Annaheim Pepper and 1 Tspn Turmeric.
6) Mix and Knead the Dough.

CornDumplingDough.jpg

7) Create Dumplings as Dough Balls about 1/2 to 1".
8) Set aside.

NOTE: Corn Meal Dumplings need to be cohesive balls. The Dough cannot be fluid and cannot be poured onto the surface of the Soup.

NOTE: Larger Dumplings can be broken up while consuming the Soup.

CornDumplings.jpg

9) Cross cut the Chicken Breast and then halve the pieces.
10) Pour about 3 to 4 cups Water or Chicken broth into a pot.
11) Add Chicken Pieces, Mixed Vegetables, Scallions and Garlic.
12) Add 2 Tspns. Turmeric and 1 Tspn. Black Pepper.
13) If using Water, add Bouillon or BTB.
14) Heat the Soup.
15) Add Dumplings after the Soup comes to a boil.
16) Continue heating until Dumplings are cooked.

NOTE: The Dumplings will rise and float as they cook. After they have floated for 5 to 10 minutes, consider the Soup finished.

17) Pour into soup bowls and serve.

Serves 2 to 4.

Chicken Soup with Corn Dumplings:

NOTE: This recipe uses Turmeric & Black Pepper.

Ingredients:

1) Chicken Half Breast - 1
2) Chicken Soup Broth or Bouillon - 1 to 2 Tspns.

NOTE: For this recipe, Chicken Better Than Bouillon (BTB) was used.

3) Olive Oil - as needed
4) Lemon Juice - as needed
5) Frozen Mixed Vegetables - 1/4 Cup
6) Garlic - 1/8 Cup
7) Scallions - 1/8 Cup
8) Turmeric - 3 Tspns.
9) Black Pepper - 2 Tspn.
10) Corn Meal - 1/4 to 1/2 Cup
11) Corn Harina - 1/4 Cup
12) Mashed Potato Flakes - 1/8 Cup
13) Baking Soda - 1 Tspn.
14) Eggs - 1
15) Half N Half - as needed
16) Water - as needed
16) Annaheim Pepper - 1/4 to 1/2

View attachment 52615

Procedure:

1) Dice the Garlic and cross cut the Scallions.
2) Set aside.
3) Dice the Annaheim Pepper.
4) In a Bowl, mix Corn Meal, Harina, Potato Flakes and Baking Soda.
5) Add Eggs, Half n Half, Annaheim Pepper and 1 Tspn Turmeric.
6) Mix and Knead the Dough.

View attachment 52617

7) Create Dumplings as Dough Balls about 1/2 to 1".
8) Set aside.

NOTE: Corn Meal Dumplings need to be cohesive balls. The Dough cannot be fluid and cannot be poured onto the surface of the Soup.

NOTE: Larger Dumplings can be broken up while consuming the Soup.

View attachment 52618

9) Cross cut the Chicken Breast and then halve the pieces.
10) Pour about 3 to 4 cups Water or Chicken broth into a pot.
11) Add Chicken Pieces, Mixed Vegetables, Scallions and Garlic.
12) Add 2 Tspns. Turmeric and 1 Tspn. Black Pepper.
13) If using Water, add Bouillon or BTB.
14) Heat the Soup.
15) Add Dumplings after the Soup comes to a boil.
16) Continue heating until Dumplings are cooked.

NOTE: The Dumplings will rise and float as they cook. After they have floated for 5 to 10 minutes, consider the Soup finished.

17) Pour into soup bowls and serve.

Serves 2 to 4.

Looks good!

Lmao. You remembered. :)
Like the corn dumplings, I may pinch that idea.

Russ

Just remember, don't use all corn meal, mix in Harina or it will crumble and fall apart. The ratio I use is 1 Cup meal to 3/4 to 1 Cup Harina.

My first experience with corn meals was the Blue Corn Tortilla Flat recipe I did just recently. I learned from that one which did not use any Harina mixed in.

It would also work with flour as a binder if Harina is not available. That's how I keep my cornbread/corn cakes from breaking. It will be a bit denser but not much.

Thanks for posting this recipe. It looks good.
Yes, but some people have gluten allergy or intolerance...not me, thank goodness. I do prefer flour dumplings over corn in general but this still looks quite yummy!

Of course. I, too, prefer flour dumplings over corn and agree this recipe looks inviting.

I didn't intend to step on any toes with my post.

The beauty, I have found for Corn Dumplings, is that they are easily broken with a spoon in the Soup to make them manageable mouthfuls. In that fact, the Soup gets crumbs that fall off the Dumplings and make it thicker. I found that a very nice aspect for Corn Dumplings. Flour Dumplings require a little more effort to break with a spoon and when they do break, give nothing back to the Soup. Flour Dumplings can also be more liquid and poured over a Soup or Stew to cover it and puff up to be light and airy. I like that feature and there are times, that I would on that account, prefer Flour Dumplings, big cloud like Dumplings that cover a Soup or Stew.

Of course. I, too, prefer flour dumplings over corn and agree this recipe looks inviting.

I didn't intend to step on any toes with my post.
Oh I am sure no one took it out of context. So many people have different tastes, that's the beauty of humanity. Life would be really boring if we all liked the same things!

Reactions: mjd
The beauty, I have found for Corn Dumplings, is that they are easily broken with a spoon in the Soup to make them manageable mouthfuls. In that fact, the Soup gets crumbs that fall off the Dumplings and make it thicker. I found that a very nice aspect for Corn Dumplings. Flour Dumplings require a little more effort to break with a spoon and when they do break, give nothing back to the Soup. Flour Dumplings can also be more liquid and poured over a Soup or Stew to cover it and puff up to be light and airy. I like that feature and there are times, that I would on that account, prefer Flour Dumplings, big cloud like Dumplings that cover a Soup or Stew.
In the past a few times when I have made chicken and dumplings, I finished them in the oven on low broil to brown the top of the dumplings, quite yummy.

Reactions: mjd
Just remember, don't use all corn meal, mix in Harina or it will crumble and fall apart. The ratio I use is 1 Cup meal to 3/4 to 1 Cup Harina.

My first experience with corn meals was the Blue Corn Tortilla Flat recipe I did just recently. I learned from that one which did not use any Harina mixed in.
Making tortillas is quite challenging. I did it over the summer for the corn challenge. My tortillas were pretty good (not as good as the lady who lives across the street), but it took a lot of work.

Super cool. I like the choice of cornmeal/masa harina because of how it brings a lot of character to the dumplings. These are ingredients I usually only think about in the summer, since I associate them with Mexican food, but this is a terrific use for a warming winter soup.

Beautiful use of the turmeric color, too.

Back
Top Bottom