Chicken Soup

actually, I just found one can of chicken broth and chicken bouillon cubes. I think I should be good.

I should be able to boil the breasts. Then add the broth and bouillion cubes?

I usually cook the chicken in with the stock or at least a half-n-half mix of stock and water.

I know its only chicken noodle soup. I've never made it before. I'm kind of excited lol. As long as I don't set the expectations that it will be as good as Colleen's I'll be fine.

I guess I should check to see if we have any noodles. I know we have the carrots, onions, and celery (and all the seasonings).

20181011_132846.jpg

I want to try and make it myself. I only have three boneless chicken breasts and no chicken stock/broth on hand. Will boiling the three boneless chicken breasts give me enough stock to make soup?

Sorry - I didn't see this but I note you found some broth. Cooking breast meat alone won't produce sufficient stock.

Chicken soup goes well with cubed potatoes, if you have those about.

I want to try and make it myself. I only have three boneless chicken breasts and no chicken stock/broth on hand. Will boiling the three boneless chicken breasts give me enough stock to make soup?

It sould. Even though I used the stock from the breast the other day, I still have some stock in the freezer. :wink:

The chicken I cut up with skin on, then boil for 30 mins or so with all the bones. I then let cool. Then I put it into a jug with a spout at the bottom. This allows you to drain off the bottom , leaving the fat at the top. This gives a clear consumme, although I don't mind a bit of fat in my soup.

Russ

First, you remove the feathers. They tickle your nose. :)

My grandmother, would buy a kosher chicken at the kosher butcher. Going by memory, she would use tweezers or a match to burn off the tiny pin bones. The chicken was salt and peppered and placed in a big stock pot with water to cover along with half of the vegetables (roughly chopped carrots, onions and celery) & boiled over medium heat until the chicken almost fell off the bones. The liquid was defatted and drained, and the vegetables discarded. The cooked/boiled chicken was returned to the pot along with the other half of the vegetables. It was returned to a boil to cook through. Sometimes at the end, parsley was added.

Sometimes noodles (luck-shun) were added to the broth at the end, but more often I add matzo balls to the broth before the end of cooking time, or boil them separately in water. I prefer my mother's matzo balls as they are firmer and chewier. Grandma's were light and fluffy. I make up the matzo balls, form them into balls and refrigerate them for several hours. The longer they're refrigerated, in my experience the firmer they are.

In more recent years, I've made chicken soup in a slow cooker using boneless skinless chicken breasts,etc, since I don't care for the skin or like the fat. At serving time or cooking, sometimes I'll add a little lemon juice or zest. Dill is another favorite with chicken soup. I might try adding some herbs to Provence next time.

My grandmother saved the fat for cooking up potato pancakes Etc. As I recall, she cooked the giblets separately. I'm probably forgetting something but that's pretty much the way my grandmother made it and the way I make it.

Last edited:
First, you remove the feathers. They tickle your nose. :)

:giggle:

So, your grandmother didn't skin the chicken first? I've noticed this has been suggested elsewhere in this thread. Personally I'd leave it on for flavour in the first stage, then remove it when the chicken is shredded and added back in.

Back
Top Bottom