Chicken Soup

No. She put the whole chicken in the pot except for the giblets, which as I recall, were cooked separately, i.e. neck, heart, liver. It's been a few years. After you shred the chicken, before putting it back in the pot, save half of the chicken for other uses like chicken salad. Any extra broth would be saved in jars for later use as well, like a meat dumpling called kreplach. It's a meat filled wonton that can be boiled in soup or fried and served on its own. Every part of the chicken was used.

No. She put the whole chicken in the pot except for the giblets, which as I recall, were cooked separately, i.e. neck, heart, liver. It's been a few years. After you shred the chicken, before putting it back in the pot, save half of the chicken for other uses like chicken salad. Any extra broth would be saved in jars for later use as well, like a meat dumpling called kreplach. It's a meat filled wonton that can be boiled in soup or fried and served on its own. Every part of the chicken was used.

That sounds like the way I would do it regarding making the stock. But I don't think I'd put the skin in the final soup (perhaps she didn't either). The kreplach sounds great!

Yes. As I recall, she put the chicken in with the skin, and removed it when the bones were removed and the chicken was shredded. Since I'm not a fan of the skin, I use boneless skinless chicken breast in the slow cooker. The closest recipe I could find is slow cooker or crock pot chicken soup at JoCooks com and cookingclassy.com.

I remember staying at my nanas over 50 years ago, they kept their own chooks. She used to make the stuffing with the giblets minced up and added to the breadcrumbs etc. best stuffing ever. They never wasted anything in those days.

Russ

My high school girlfriend's family kept Kosher, and I remember being interested in the way her mom cooked many dishes. It was mostly to see through curious and innocent eyes what was so remarkable about a religious way of eating such that it had a name and verb modifier.

I remember her mom boiling a whole, cut up/circumcised chicken, skin on, along with whole celery, whole carrots, and onions and garlic - both with their skins still on.

After a good boil, everything was removed, the liquid strained through a cheesecloth and put back to a boil, then any remainng skin removed from the onions, the veggies were chopped (whole garlic discarded), the chicken picked and skin discarded, and everything added back to the very clear broth and brought just back to a boil before serving.

I remember the colour and clarity of the broth was of utmost importance.

The onion skins made it more golden, and straining it made it clear.

Back
Top Bottom