SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:39 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Whilst looking for recipes for next week, I came across this one which 'qualifies' for the current recipe challenge using apricots. And, well I rather like it so I have adapted it for a someone without a slow cooker :whistling: . If like me you prefer to use dried chickpeas, aim for around 200g of dried chickpeas and cook as normal prior to starting this recipe. If needed you could substitute the apricots with dates or prunes, but I would drop the additional sugar if doing this.

Based on this recipe here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/slow_cooker_chickpea_12414

Ingredients (Serves 4)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped coarsely
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tsp ground ginger or 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp harissa paste
  • 2 tsp sweet paprika
  • 400g/1*14oz can chickpeas in water, rinsed and drained
  • roughly 500g fresh tomatoes chopped or 1*14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
  • 1 red pepper, deseeded and thickly chopped
  • 1 butternut squash (or other squash), peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
  • 2 courgettes, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 12 dried apricots, roughly chopped
  • 2 tsp honey/agave nectar (or any other such sweetness you like)
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan (large enough to take all the veg as well), then over a low heat add the chopped onion and fry for approximately 5 minutes until softened and going transparent.
  2. Add the garlic, ginger and cumin to the onions and cook for another minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
  3. Add the chopped tomatoes, agave nectar, paprika and harissa paste and fry for a moment or two longer before adding the chickpeas, red pepper, butternut squash, courgettes and apricots.
  4. Add enough water to just/almost cover the veg and return to the boil over a low heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to stand for several hours for the flavours to improve.
  5. Before reheating to serve over couscous, add the fresh coriander and season to taste.

Back
Top Bottom